Sign in to follow this  
azhunter23

45 cal question

I have a chance to get a 45 cal inline for a good deal. I am new to muzzleloading so I don't know anything. Are any of you using a 45 cal when hunting? Is it enough knockdown power?

Thanks

Chris

I have a chance to get a 45 cal inline for a good deal. I am new to muzzleloading so I don't know anything. Are any of you using a 45 cal when hunting? Is it enough knockdown power?

Thanks

Chris

I only know my 50, and everyone I know has a 50. Sorry, I know it doesnt help you I just stuck with what we knew worked.

I had. 45 cal knight. I think it's all about bullet selection. I shot an eastern whitetail in the chest with. 175 gr barnes pushed by 130 gr of 777 and it went clear through and lodged in the hide on his hindquarter. I think the heaviest bullets you can get are sound 240 or so, so I don't see a problem with using it on elk as long as you use a good bullet and hit them right. If I were buying a brand new gun I would definitely get a 50 just because it's easier to get bullets and cleaning supplies etc.

I missed this post earlier.

I use a .45 cal and so does my dad. We have used them on coues, mule deer, elk, javelina and mountain lion. No problems with knockdown power as long as you stay within reasonable muzzleloader ranges (200 yards or less). The only problem that was already mentioned is that most stores do not carry a good selection of bullets for them. I end up mail ordering supplies.

Thanks

Chris

I shoot a White MZ. All the gun you need for every kind of hunting. check out White MZ bullets. I believe the web site is

whiterifles.com

Thanks

Chris

No problem. I use PowerBelt Bullets .45 Cal. 195 gr. Copper, AeroTip w/3 pellets of Tripple Seven on Hogs and Whitetail, never had an issue out to 200yds.