Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

Is 45 inches to much growth for one year?

Could a bull score 365 one year and 410 the next? I know that feed, genetics, and on and on will alter the bulls’ antler growth. However assume normal to good genes and good feed. I am not asking is it possible because anything is possible I guess. I am asking if it is probable or not that a bull would score 365 one year and 410 the next?

Assuming it is a 6x6...45" is only 3.75" per point and beam...not counting mass or spread...very possible and probable IMO

Assuming it is a 6x6...45" is only 3.75" per point and beam...not counting mass or spread...very possible and probable IMO

Depends on age of Bull a 12 year old bull most likely will not put on any inches and will probably lose plenty.

A 4-5 year old can easily put on that many inches IMO.

Depends on age of Bull a 12 year old bull most likely will not put on any inches and will probably lose plenty.

A 4-5 year old can easily put on that many inches IMO.

Good point I had not thought of age as a factor in rate of growth when I originally posted. Should have but did not.

Not at all. There is a guy in my hometown back in WI who had some penned elk. His stud bull scored 440 Typical at age 5.5 and one of the offspring from that bull scored an amazing 400" at 3.5 YO. If the genetics, feed and age are there it's possible.

It's definitely possible, especially going from a bad growth year to a really good growth year, you'll see some huge growth on certain bulls. The bull needs to have the genetic capability as well as the right antler growing ingredients in his environment.

One of the bulls we took went from an estimated 385-390" to an official 436" in 1 year. And both years were good growth years.

Like has been said tho, you need to have all the right ingredients and genetics. JIM>