creed_az_88

Is it enough

It has always worried me but I always figured that it would be all right. my mom is shooting a PSE spyder with a 24 inch draw and a 40# pull weight and about a 340 grain arrow(including broadhead). I imagine it is but is it enough to do the job on a deer? I think that it will penetrate enough to kill but is a pass through out of the question? I'm not sure how fast it shoots but I imagine about 200 fps. what do u guys think?

creed

It has always worried me but I always figured that it would be all right.  my mom is shooting a PSE spyder with a 24 inch draw and a 40# pull weight and about a 340 grain arrow(including broadhead). I imagine it is but is it enough to do the job on a deer?  I think that it will penetrate enough to kill but is a pass through out of the question? I'm not sure how fast it shoots but I imagine about 200 fps. what do u guys think?

creed

Sounds like it is enough as long you the shots that are taken are close and clean.

jason

A pass through would not be out of the question. My wife shoots a Matthews FX with about the same statistics as your mom's bow and she has killed several animals with it and passed through. I don't recommend a shot outside of 40 yards though.

Brian

Kinetic energy of an arrow can be derived by multiplying arrow velocity x arrow velocity x arrow weight divided by 450240. Your mom's setup produces 30.2 pounds of kinetic energy. Bowsite.com published a recent article stating that in the authors oppinion 25 foot pounds of kinetic energy is the minimum for deer sized game. He was talking about eastern whitetail. I think your mom's setup is fine. I would reccomend shooting fixed blade broadheads at broadside deer only. She should get complete passthroughs.

Bow hunting mom?? That's so cool! I wish my mom or my wife were bowhunters! That's so cool!

bowsniper

I can't remember whether the minimum bow weight for hunting in AZ 40# or 45#, that would be the only consideration I would be worry about...

I can't remember whether the minimum bow weight for hunting in AZ 40# or 45#, that would be the only consideration I would be worry about...

I agree, I always thought the min. bow weight to be was 45#. But that is so cool that your mom is bow huntin :)

Forty pounds is the legal weight in Arizona.

R12-4-304

Lawful Methods for Taking Wild Mammals,

Birds, and Reptiles

5. To take deer:

a. Centerfire rifles;

b. Muzzleloading rifles;

c. All other rifles using black powder or synthetic

black powder;

d. Centerfire handguns;

e. Handguns using black powder or synthetic black

powder;

f. Shotguns shooting slugs;

g. Bows with a standard pull of 40 or more pounds,

using arrows with broadheads no less than 7/8

inch in width with metal cutting edges; and

h. Crossbows with a minimum draw weight of 125

pounds, using bolts with a minimum length of 16

inches and broadheads no less than 7/8 inch in

width with metal cutting edges.

Your mom is totally legal and should have a very exciting time trying to get her first animal with her bow.

Brian

Thanx guys, that helps a lot. my mom is 43 and I'm 17 I hunt with my entire family(and thats a lot of people) but my mom seems to be the most independent of them all and at sometimes the most stubborn. I do not like the idea of her be alone in the hills but she would rather be dropped off before the sun comes up and have me pick her up after it goes down. I have to admire her determination but i can never be comfortable with all the illegal traffic in our part of the state. Shes a tough woman and one day she'll be rewarded with a nice trophy.

creed

Thanks southerncoueshunter... I couldn't remember if it was 40# or 45#... Hey could you enlarge the text on that a little more next time? I probably wouldn't have been able to see it there... Thanks