Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Rem 700 accidental discharge.....Yikes!

Took a spill while carrying my rifle on my brothers hunt. Got home to wipe out the melted snow (after the hunt) and when I vigorously worked the action, the hammer dropped..... 'Willie' had a Timney trigger dropped at my house today. Hopefully seeing a smith to get it installed tomorrow!

Whatever happened to keeping the muzzle pointed in a SAFE direction at all times!!!!

I was told to keep the block/trigger assembly clean = no issues.

Was thinking the same thing !!! faulty trigger would be the least of their worrys with that rifle wrapped around their neck , and sounds like most walk around with a round chambered wth !!!!!

This has happened to my son and I. I have Rem 700 270. I had a muzzle brake put on it for my sons first cow elk hunt 4 years ago. We got on some elk and when the elk busted us we headed back to the truck. About 50 yards away from the truck I ask him did you unload he said not yet. As he was used to shooting at the range I wanted to make sure he did it safe as we had my sister, brother in-law and nephew with us. We turned away from the truck. I told him to take it off safety and eject the round. I was holding the stock with my right hand at the top next to the barrel, this put the muzzle with brake about a foot away from my ear. As soon as he clicked the safety off the gun goes off. I hit the ground holding the side of my head. My sister sitting in the truck went nuts thinking I got shot, my 11 year old freaked and did not want to hunt anymore. After about 5 hours later I started getting hearing back in my right ear and calming my son down, I pulled out the 7mm RUM out that I took as a backup and he took his first elk two days later. The 270 has been put in the safe until I can afford a new trigger. I think I will use it as a starter for a custom build one day.

I am really glad this got posted. My 700 will see a gunsmith before I ever chamber a round again. Thanks a ton.

When I originally posted this, I had no idea this many incidents would surface, just within this forum....that's spooky. As stated before, mine is a 2006 XCR model with the newer trigger. I am now confident it wasn't a defective trigger, but a defective trigger adjustment....done by the previous owner who didn't know what he was doing. Since the gunsmith reset and locktighted the set-screw, I have not had another incident.

Bottom line: If you buy a used 700, or any model for that matter, have it checked by someone who knows what they are doing. Always think SAFETY...SAFETY...SAFETY. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, and do not have a round in the chamber until you are on target and ready to shoot. When you are pre-season shooting, make sure the safety mechanisms are doing their job and there are no accidental discharges...before the hunt.