I have been doing a lot of looking around at different bullets and loads for several of my rifles. A lot of bullet manufacturers give recommendations of twist rate that works best with particular bullets. I understand that the twist rate is important in bullet stabilization but just how important is it really? For example, if I have a rifle that has a 1 in 10 twist barrel and was thinking about shooting a bullet with a manufacturer recommendation of a 1 in 13 twist, is this going to cause accuracy problems? I know that not enough spin will cause less bullet stabilization but is too much spin of the bullet a bad thing? Thanks!

-Tracy

Your barrel T is very inportant. T plays many roles. You can spin a bullet too much and they can come apart. Ive seen it in a 22-250 ackley with 40gr. What gun, and load are you looking at.

Usually, you can get away with shooting a bullet that is reccomened in a 1/13" twist out of a 1/10 twist, but not the other way around.

depends a lot on the caliber too. some calibers, one twist is fine. other calibers need a different twist for about every 20 grain increase in weight. actually, what makes the biggest difference is the bullet length. longer needs more twist. i have an old .250/3000 savage that will shoot up to 100 gr bullets fine. go up to 117 and they will keyhole at 100 yards. every shot. twist is extremely inportant to accuracy. have the wrong twist for a bullet and you won't be able to hit anything. no matter what you do. Lark.

Many manufactures list the recommended twist for their bullets so that you have the appropriate spin to stabilize the bullet. If it is close your gun may shoot well but for a large difference it is unlikely. I would think most on this forum probably hunt with heavier than average bullets for longer shots and that a higher twist rate would be beneficial.