Sign in to follow this  
azslim

New GPS - Garmin Oregon 450T

I picked up a new GPS a couple months ago and the 1:24000 map chip. Was a little pricey but now that I have been using it for a while it was well worth the money. It's the Garmin Oregon 450T. Most of the features I probably won't use, but to look at the terrain, find water you had no idea was around and plot routes it is great. I have been moving waypoints from my Garmin Etrex over, yes by hand with 12+ years of info on it. I can add a waypoint, then zoom in on the map, get the correct lat/long and get dead on instead of within 10 to 30 yds. The map card is missing a few roads I know are there, wish it had an option to add a road as you are driving along without having to save the track, but oh well. The Etrex took a long time to connect and wasn't near as accurate as the new one, this new one is fast.

I also use it on my rehab/exercise walks, I track distance, speed and time. I spent a lot of time in NM this summer working fires, the map card has Az and NM so it will come in handy next season.

So for a review of the Garmin 450T for hunting and rough terrain use I give it a solid "thumbs up".

• Like 1

Thanks for the review. I am still making due with the old etreks I have had for 10+ years. I will add the new model of GPS to my list of toys I can't afford to buy.

Haven't had that problem yet, it is ready to go about 3 minutes after I turn it on.

The maps chips show more water, or potential water, than you would think is out in the desert. Doesn't have the guzzlers but it has plenty of other sources.

For those of you who want a new gps, but dont wanna spend a bunch of money, check out the 60 CSX. A lot of guys at work (myself included) have one and it works wonders!

I just ordered the oregon 450t cant wait to get it! Looks like ll the reviews are great! Should have it by thursday.

hey Slim,

i have the same gps but i have the garmin software on my pc and when i transfer all of my waypoints from the 60gps i transferred to the basecamp and then i put it in the new oregon, that might save you some time, if you don't have the software just download basecamp from garmin is free.