Sign in to follow this  
Gringo

Spring Bears- Calling

Planning on heading to San Carlos for the spring hunt next year, and am curious if anyone has any experience calling bears during the spring. My understanding is that they're farily responsive to calling during August/Sept. which is the only time I have hunted them. Never hunted the spring season, so any experience, even if not calling related would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gringo

Tough go in the spring for a few reasons.

1. Their pads are soft and they don't travel much.

2. They have not built up the enzymes in there stomach in order to digest meat. They are mostly eating grass.

That being said I am sure that if you were in the vicinity calling at some point one would come in. Calling is like Nascar everyone wants to go watch the race just to see the wreck.

2. They have not built up the enzymes in there stomach in order to digest meat. They are mostly eating grass.

That being said I am sure that if you were in the vicinity calling at some point one would come in. Calling is like Nascar everyone wants to go watch the race just to see the wreck.

Good to know, was going to ask about this...We hunt here a lil later (August) and into the Fall/Winter, so hoping to do the calling thing then... :ph34r:

Two friends had a huge boar bear come to within ten FEET of their blind while they were using a box call for turkeys a few weeks ago.

Bill Quimby

I wouldn't consider myself an excellent caller but I have called in a few bears in my time. Mostly in late Augest/ Early September. It's a blast! :)

TJ

Good info! I dont know much about bears but that makes sense!

I wouldn't consider myself an excellent caller but I have called in a few bears in my time. Mostly in late Augest/ Early September. It's a blast! :)

TJ

TJ, what call/sound did you use...Curious as that's the time we'll hit 'em here and later since we can go all the way into December, depending...

TJ

TJ, what call/sound did you use...Curious as that's the time we'll hit 'em here and later since we can go all the way into December, depending...

k

I use a mouth cottontail circe call. It's the only call I've ever used so I'm not sure how it compares to others but I will tell you it has worked quite well fo me. A bear can show up in minutes or take an hour. I call for at least 45 minutes to an hour. They will continue to come to the call as you call but seem to hang up when you stop so the more you can call and catch your breath the better the results. You will learn to call out the side of your mouth as you breath with the other side. Practice like everything else. :)

TJ

I use only hand calls as well. Squeel long and hard and keep at it, especially if sign is around. I'm going out this week to call for my spring archery tag and maybe sit some water if if it looks good and I have enough patience to wait it out. I'd much rather hike through a rough canyon and call every half-mile or so, then move on.

Good deal, thanks guys...Can't wait to try this out! :D

Kidso any luck on that bear calling?

Called in (to my visual knowledge), a total of two coyotes, one cowboy and his herd dog, and a mystery beast that was coming up a ridge, but turned back down about 50 yards from me and I never saw it. The area I went in was plumb dry and had no fresh bear sign on the water holes, except for a few small tracks several days old. It was not prime bear area, but it is the area in which I drew a late archery bull tag and in which my sister drew a rifle cow tag, so I wanted to check it out and set up some salt licks and put trail cams out on the water for the elk... and there was plenty of them around in spite of dwindling water supplies.

But still, it was fun and I covered a LOT of country! I just forgot my sidearm, which was terrible, and I didn't have the confidence of my Glock watching my back while calling, so I avoided the best thickets which I most enjoy calling into, and called into a bit more open areas. It was also a bit scary camping alone at night and not having a 15 round clip of hollow points to keep me company.

• Like 1

Do AZ bear Hibernate?

PA Black bear don't truly hibernate

2. They have not built up the enzymes in there stomach in order to digest meat. They are mostly eating grass

Their pads are soft ? I have never herd that.

If I was going to call San Carlos it would be up in the high elevations around the to old ranches and the lake thats up there.

distress sounds will work , And no you don't need to be a expert caller :D