Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

270wsm mountain rifle

During my recent coues hunt my mind wandered to thoughts of a new rifle.

Im thinking about a 270wsm with a custom barrel, trigger, stock etc. Was wondering if you all had any suggestions?

Or do you you think it would be worth it to throw some money at the .25-'06 Ruger, Ive been packing around for years. (Kinda heavy, would like better accuracy etc)

I've been kicking around a similar idea for a lightweight rig. I've thought about 6.5WSM and 7WSM, at time the 270s. I would probably go with a 7WSM w/ a B&C Alaskan stock (really light weight and not as much as a Mcmillan edge). Thin tape barrel and Talley light weight one piece rings/bases. I'd be unsure about the scope, nothing crazy 4-16ish most likely, perhaps a light wight 6-20. I'd like to use 162 a-max if I went 7mm. If I was going to build it on a 700 LA, I would consider other chamberings. The 7wsm would be easy enough on the shoulder without a brake and a light weight build. The WSM on a LA gives you plenty of room to seat the bullets way out there, while fitting in the mag without much smithing or extended boxes. I crunched the numbers of 6.5, 270, and 7WSMs. 270 bullet offerings are slim if you want to stretch your range with higher BC bullets. There are guys who make good BC 270 bullets, but only a few. 6.5 and 7mm offerings are plentiful. The only benefit I saw to a 6.5WSM wildcat was reduction in recoil on the light platform. It also had the cool wildcat thing going for it. Barrel life isn't as good as a 7WSM. Energy was better with the 7s. I'd also consider the SAUM as well, especially if I went the 6.5 route. I'd also consider 7-300WSM too for a longer neck.

270 WSM is the way to go! I had a 7 WSM and it was ok, but the 270 wsm will shoot flatter and more accur. hands down. I reloaded for both and just happier with the 270 wsm. What I did was take the 7 wsm and made it into a 270 wsm. ( 26" doug. mid. barrel, mod.70 action, with a lite weight sheep hunt stock).

Good luck on your quest ;)

My 270 WSM took has taken 3 deer at 650, 750, and 730 yards last year and this year. RL 17 pushing 140 grain Bergers. Shoots like a champ! I was considering the 7 WSM upgrade recently, but after watching another stellar performance this year, I am totally satisfied with the 270.