Sign in to follow this  
hunter4life

Bears, Turtles and Coues Bucks

Funny question for you - did you find a lot of body fat on your deer? The reason I ask is, my NM buck had a huge layer of fat on his back-end especially. I always am amazed with coues deer in relatively dry conditions without a lot of obvious forage, always seem to be very well fed and even have built up fat reserves like that. You would think a little desert deer like that would have little to no fat... Anyway, not trying to derail your thread - just found that kind of interesting.

Glad you guys are enjoying the "fruits" of the hunt. We ate up all our backstrap right away and it was phenomenal. Gave some bottom round to my inlaws and they were floored by how good it was. They cut it thin and wrapped it with bacon. Hard to go wrong with that approach.

Both of them had a pretty good layer of fat on their back-ends and looked to be in great condition considering how dry it has been. We have only eaten a few pieces off of this deer because I still have quite a bit of oryx, and a CO muley to eat up before this coues.