Sign in to follow this  
hunter4life

Bears, Turtles and Coues Bucks

I finished a good hunt with my dad last weekend. We glassed up a bear with her 3 cubs and got to watch them for a few minutes as they climbed up the opposite side of the canyon. That was a lot of fun. Then we were making a water run to what we thought was a pretty large reliable water source. Mostly mud and some green water, but it tasted okay. We found 6 of these little turtles in the small remaining puddle of water. I think they are Sonoran mud turtles from what I looked up on the internet. That evening we glassed up two good bucks at 1300 yards. A long stalk down a canyon over a saddle and up the back side of the ridge they were on ended up in success. This plan would put us right on the bucks at close range. I was leading and I saw one of the bucks stand up out of his bed at 30 yards. I threw up the gun and shot, but could not see much due to the cloud of smoke that enveloped us. After my shot the second buck jumped out of his bed at about 15 yards and was over the edge in 2 bounds. My dad ran to the edge of the canyon, found the buck and it made the fatal mistake of stopping at 200 yards to look back. I then searched for my buck, which had only made it about 15 feet before piling up in the grass.

They were both kind of strange in that neither deer had eyeguards. I have never seen a mature coues without eyeguards before this. Mine taped out at 88" and my dad's was 92".

bear3-1.jpg

bear2-1.jpg

turtle1.jpg

turtle2.jpg

mydeer1.jpg

mydeer2.jpg

dadsdeer1.jpg

antlers.jpg

Thats great a smokepole double!!

The bears and the turtles are definatley a nice bonus.

glad you had a great outing with your pappy.

Nothing like hunting with Dad. Congrats and thanks for the awesome pictures of the bears. :)

TJ

Congratulations on a couple of very nice bucks. Looks like it was a great time judging from your pics. Always nice spending time with your dad and throwing in some wildlife and beautiful country is a super bonus.

Awesome! Looks like a great time with your dad. Doesn't get any better than that. BTW, that sure looks like some familiar country! My son and I found some of those turtles 2 years ago about that size. Unfortunately, that water source was all dried up this year and there were several dead turtles around it.

Congrats on some great looking bucks and an awesome hunt.

Congrats on the great hunt with your dad! I love all the bonus pictures, bears are cool but those turtles are awesome! :)

+1 on eye guards ... Nice bucks!! Nice work!! Coues are normaly known for there beautiful eye guards .

Looksa like a trip to remember, congrats on a smokin double!

great story. i love to see it when folks pay attention to everything when they're hunting. there is a lotta stuff to see besides your prey. looks like you and your ol' man had fun. last year in colorado my son shot a pronghorn and i was by the guts the next day and turtle was eatin' the guts. Lark.