james

inexpensive taxidermist ???new pics

ok so i got my first ever deer now if anyone knows of a taxidermist for cheap would really love to get this one shoulder mounted and it could be billy bobs u-kill-em we'll-fill-em taxidermist as long as its cheap or even mount suggestions i also recovered the bullet i downed him with gonna add that to the mount some way

ok so i got my first ever deer now if anyone knows of a taxidermist for cheap would really love to get this one shoulder mounted and it could be billy bobs u-kill-em we'll-fill-em taxidermist as long as its cheap or even mount suggestions i also recovered the bullet i downed him with gonna add that to the mount some way

Why don't you do it yourself if you don't care how it is slapped on a manikin

I can show you some hideous cheap jobs ...deer look like a needle nosed, caught in the head lights bugged eyed, hair slipping, ears poorly placed making the deer look like some rodent from outer space

VAN DYKES DO IT YOURSELF DEER KIT

PS be sure to get all the measurements correctly as that also will have a big deal to small hide shrinks rips and gets smaller and to small you will get a rhodesian ridged back deer to short in the face eyes will be half way down the nose to to small the eyes will be where the ears should be...but they have step by step instructions...but it is the "cheap" way to go

Sorry ..but I rather pay more to have a piece of still life on my wall versus an abstract picasso fur pile on the wall ;)

I hope "Billy Bob" does right by your deer. This post scares me! I suggest you look at pics of bad taxidermy work before you seek out the cheapest bidder.

I would recommend a european mount for your deer, much harder to screw that up and it will still be a great reminder of the hunt. When I see a poor quality mount, all I can think is....... "so glad that POS is not hanging on my wall"

If you want something cheap, you will actually get some good from, do a euro mount. If you have billy bob slap something together for $300, it will never make it on the wall. It will be in the garage, never seen again, and you'll be out 300 dolars. I'm speaking from experience here, and from more than one occasion. Euro's always look good, crappy taxidermy never does, and never will. Good taxidermy on the other hand is great. If you don't want to spend at least $500 with SOMEONE WHO IS KNOWN FOR DOING GOOD WORK for that kind of money, I would highly suggest paying someone with beetles or doing a euro your self.

it is going to probably take a taxidermist 3 - 4 months to get your cape back from the tannery. then he will probably have a bunch of mounts to work on ahead of yours. by the time you need to pay up it will have been probably 10 - 12 months anyway. just stick $50 a month into a savings account and by the time it is ready you will have the funds you need. also, if you are anything like me or like most of us you probably have some extra equipment that is not being used that could be liquidated to help with the taxidermy bill. just put it up on the classified section or throw it on craigs or e bay. better to take your time, do it right, be patient but have something you will enjoy looking at.

REALLY

well when i say cheap i meant like $300-$600 i was told by a few people that it would run me $1600 to do a shoulder mount i didt wanna trade a mount job for for beer and crack rocks if thats what u thought my post implied but after further research i did find out they run about $400-$700 which is doable just not the $1600 and i used (billybob u kill em we'll fill em) as a kinda funny name for a taxidermist dont think there actually is someone out there with that name if so sorry for poking fun at ya :huh: I have found a local place who cant get me in till mid dec (BRAGGING RIGHTS TAXIDERMY ) STARTING AT $350 http://www.bragginrightstaxidermy.com/default.html whetstone az.

http://wellerswildli...om/gallery.html Here is wellers gallery...he is about the 700 range if nothing else take a good look at his work

so you can see some decent work...remember your the one that will have to look at it on your walls so pay for what you will enjoy not what you will want to hide in the closest

I've seen most of the taxi's work who post and advertise on here. Some are more expensive then others. There are three things to consider in taxidermy: quality of work, time frame, and expense. You usually can't have 2 without sacrificing the 3rd. If you find one one that will give you all three, stick with them. I would look at Wild heritage, Mogollon, Bagnolli, but most likely Wellers, if you are close to Tuscon. There are probably others who are really good who I left out. I'm just familiar with the ones I've listed. The taxidermists that sound expensive, and are well thought of, usually put out good work faster than the well thought of taxidermists who charge less. You can get a 1st class deer shoulder mount for less than 1,000, some may charge about 1/2 of that.

James,

I checked out the link you posted. A couple of the animals looked ok, but I can believe some are even posted on a website. No braggin rights there! No way!

If you can't afford a good mount, do a euro mount. I pay around 550 and I get high quality work. Turn around is a year to a year and half though. Like youngbuck said it's hard to get all three qualities. Price and quality are the most important to me. I can wait a little longer as long as is doesn't go over 18mo.

James,

I checked out the link you posted. A couple of the animals looked ok, but I can believe some are even posted on a website. No braggin rights there! No way!

If you can't afford a good mount, do a euro mount. I pay around 550 and I get high quality work. Turn around is a year to a year and half though. Like youngbuck said it's hard to get all three qualities. Price and quality are the most important to me. I can wait a little longer as long as is doesn't go over 18mo.

yeah but if i do the euro mount i wanna get the skull done with liquid print dipped in the bone head camo which in total will still run me $300 or so but looks pretty sweet then for another $250 i can do the shoulder mount i really dont mind spending the $500-$600 over the course of 8-12 months it was just the inital shock when i was told that it would run me about $1600 for the mount

REALLY

well when i say cheap i meant like $300-$600 i was told by a few people that it would run me $1600 to do a shoulder mount i didt wanna trade a mount job for for beer and crack rocks if thats what u thought my post implied but after further research i did find out they run about $400-$700 which is doable just not the $1600 and i used (billybob u kill em we'll fill em) as a kinda funny name for a taxidermist dont think there actually is someone out there with that name if so sorry for poking fun at ya :huh: I have found a local place who cant get me in till mid dec (BRAGGING RIGHTS TAXIDERMY ) STARTING AT $350 http://www.bragginrightstaxidermy.com/default.html whetstone az.

Glad you cleared this up. I don't know anybody who does cheap taxidermy, but if you really needed to save some money I was going to recommend a discount gunsmith, a guy who will sell you reloads for almost nothing, and a really nice tweeker who can do brake jobs. Just don't skimp on the taxidermy.:D

I will do it for 300 dollars. I have never tried it before but what the heck for 300 dollars I'll try anything... you want a wall mount or a pedestal?