Sign in to follow this  
singleshot

November 7th

I looked over at my brother Brian and saw that he was shivering like a dog passing peach pits. The storm had caught us on an open ridge top and we decided to bail off the top and hunker down under a Juniper. The wind was howling and pelting us with with sleet and the temperature had dropped dramatically. I looked around at the water dripping off the trees and the sleet bouncing off my Badlands and realized I was quite comfortable. Windshear, a pullover offered by Cabelas, and under Armour Cold Gear. I like gear that works and this stuff is the real deal.

Brian asked if I thought we would be able to find the two bucks we were watching in the morning. I thought for a second and told him that if he wanted one, the best time to kill him was right now. The sun was setting in the late afternoon and we were a couple of miles in, the bucks were further, in the wrong direction. The decision was made and we bailed out of the saddle we had been glassing from, slid into a cut for some cover and 40 minutes later picked up the two bucks again at 310 yards.

They were twins, probably brothers, one a little taller, one a little wider. While we discussed which one to shoot the bucks made it into the bottom and we could no longer see them. Off we went, fortunately the wind helped to cover the noise as we raced against shooting light. At 250 yards we had them in the open, but again they slipped into the bottom out of sight.

One last juniper for cover and when we cleared it we knew we would be close. Brian prepared himself for the possibility of a running shot if they blew out, but when I peaked around that last tree they were still in the bottom at 130 yards. Six of one, half dozen of the other, he decided on the wider one and he dropped at the shot.

Nice healthy buck with lots of fat. Taped at 87 even.

post-958-0-27221800-1321294165_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-17699400-1321294244_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-20908100-1321294339_thumb.jpg

post-958-0-75243700-1321294446_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing the hunt with us, congratulations to your brother on a very nice buck!

NIce deer. He looks to be a really healthy eater. Thanks for sharing the pix and story. JLB