Sign in to follow this  
Airbusdriver

Ammo: Big Box Stores vs Walmart. Is there a difference?

I have been using Federal 100 grain soft .243Win to break in my son's new Weatherby barrel. The first box I bought at one of the sporting goods stores cost $20/box of 20 rounds. I found the exact same ammo at Walmart for $15/box. (The pics below are of one box bought at Walmart, one at a local "big box" sporting goods store).

I have mentioned this disparity in price to the sales staffs at the sporting goods stores and gun shops. Their response was, in a nutshell: "Walmart sells inferior ammo..factory rejects...junk ammo", and whatever else they could think of to say.

My question: Given that the box is EXACTLY same..same caliber, weight, everything..is there any chance that the Walmart IS inferior to the sporting good/gun shop ammo, or is this just a "sour grapes" response form a salesperson who is seeing their ammo sales undercut by Walmart?

Has anyone noticed any difference, or have any data to support such claims?

post-5498-0-43380900-1321938469_thumb.jpg

Well I can't tell u if there is any difference in quality, but Walmart would probably refund you after u shot half.. Lol I think u could take poopy diapers back to them and they would refund u.. Love Wally world hahahahaha

no difference, I thought I have read Walmart is the largest supplier of guns in ammo in America.... bet they buy so much more than the sporting goods stores.

I have also see NAP broadheads much cheaper than the sporting goods stores...doubt these are inferior....

no difference, I thought I have read Walmart is the largest supplier of guns in ammo in America.... bet they buy so much more than the sporting goods stores.

I have also see NAP broadheads much cheaper than the sporting goods stores...doubt these are inferior....

Same stuff. It's due to more purchasing power and lower profit margins. Because of the huge amount of product it buys and sells, Walmart uses a stringent bid and contract arrangement with its suppliers.

Plus, think about it -- "inferior" ammo would result in greater liability for both Walmart and the ammo maker. Neither would be too keen on opening themselves up to such.