Sign in to follow this  
huntlines

2010 Archery Coues Buck

My best Coues yet

I started hunting when I was very young in my back yard with my first BB gun. It wasn’t long until I was given my first bow by my father and from then on I was an archery hunter. I hunted rabbits from the age ten until age fourteen. At age fourteen my father took me on my first deer hunt because I could put half a dozen arrows into a pie plate at twenty yards. This was the goal he had set for me at age ten and I shot until my fingers were sore every night. I’m sure some of you with today’s bows are thinking half a dozen arrows in a pie plate at twenty yards is easy but back then the bows were not what they are today. Also we only had aluminum arrows and I was constantly tweaking them on my rabbit hunting trips.

My first deer hunt was when a hunter could still shoot does in December. I was fresh out of the gate and didn’t care if I shot a doe or a buck. The first deer to give me an opportunity was going to get shot at. Opening morning I found a few does and the stalk was on. I was able to make a thirty yard shot on one of the does and fifty yards later was hooked for life. That doe will be etched in my hunting memories forever. Over the years I have had the opportunities to keep archery hunting and Coues deer is still my passion. I have different equipment and different hunting techniques but my love for hunting the grey ghost hasn’t changed.

This last year (2010) I took my best Coues buck yet. I have had success during the rut but I have also fine-tuned my hunting during the early season too. During this time period I have found water to be the best way to harvest a mature Coues buck. They are in their summer patterns and secluded water is the best way I have found to get in close. One little trick I use isn’t sitting on the water source itself. I have found that sitting the travel routes going to and way from the water is the best. On these routes you can usually pick an area where the wind is more consistent and more cover to hide in. Some people will sit right on top of the water where the wind can be unpredictable due to the open space and currents coming off the water. Also I have found small springs that are secluded to be where the big boys hang out.

Don’t get discouraged! In 2009 I was sitting a spot and had a small bachelor group of bucks come down the trail I was sitting. One of the small bucks caught movement and busted me when I tried to draw. When they left I was upset with myself and about to call it a day. I had text my father and told him what had happened. He told me to sit tight and be patient because if the big buck never saw or winded you, he may come back. Sitting and sulking I wasn’t as optimistic. However two hours later here he came and he was by himself! I drew this time undetected when his head went behind some brush and heart shot him at twenty yards when he cleared.

Last year I was sitting another spot I had seen some smaller bucks and just knew there was a big guy in there somewhere. An hour into the morning a group of bucks came in. There were four of them but only one stood out. I sat watching him as he came walking along the trail and couldn’t decide if he was big enough for the early hunt. When he finally cleared the brush at twenty yards I realized I have messed up. He was definitely a shooter but now he was right in front of me and I wasn’t ready. I had to let him pass and hope he came back by on his way back to the bedding area. As luck would have it he did come back but was in the back of the line of bucks now. I had to wait until one buck was past me and the others had their heads behind something before I could draw. This didn’t happen until he was only fifteen yards! Somehow I was able to get to full draw without spooking any of them. When he cleared the brush he was only twelve yards. Again I heart shot this buck and he only went about forty yards. When I walked up to him I couldn’t believe I had waited so long to decide to shoot this buck.

I have not had him officially scored buy I have rough scored him around 105. This year I was elk hunting/scouting during the early season so I will get to hunt the rut. I have not hunted the rut in three years so I am stoked to say the least. I just can’t pass the opportunity to shoot one of these big boys in the velvet during the early season.

Note: The picture with me in it is of my 2010 buck, the picture without me is my 2009 buck.

post-5532-0-58977900-1322341729_thumb.jpg

post-5532-0-75262300-1322341735_thumb.jpg

Good job on a pair of nice bucks. Good luck on the rut hunt. I will be out on January 1st and am counting down the days.