Sign in to follow this  
Airbusdriver

.30-06 vs .270 vs .308: What do you like and why

yeah, me too. but only .270 shooters truly know what they're doin' anyway. it's a fact. even the ones who don't think they know what they are doin', do, just because they have a .270. so every .30 cal you have has a 1 in 10 twist? and it will shoot anything you want just fine? do you ever go quicker or slower? why does everything i read talk about the need for different twist rates for different bullets? in almost all calibers? i'm gonna hafta ask the guy that made my .300 barrel why he thought it was so important. Lark.

I have three 30 cals. A 10, 11 and a 12 twist. All of them were nothing more than an experiment. To see which one was 'best'.

The heaviest I have ever got around to shooting in my 10x is 180 grains. I cant imagine it would handle the 200 or 210 any different than the 180s. It shoots the 150s through 180s beatifully despite being optimum for 220 grains. At least on paper. The 11 and 12x have digested 150-210 just fine even though 12x is not optimum or traditional for 210's. I cannot tell the difference just by shooting them. If I did not know the twist of each one there is no way I would be able to tell just from shooting them using bullets between 150-210 grains. I use to like slower twists simply due to less radial torque. At least mathematically on paper. Again, I cannot tell the difference by shooting them. Berger's reasoning is that the slower the twist, imperfect bullet jackets are not affected as much as it relates to group size. Then again, all the major bullet producers these days generate pretty concentric jackets. All my barrels have shot all their respective weights listed above with a good degree of accuacy and some bullets with an exceptional degree of accuracy. The funny thing is, 12-13x in a 308 should be optimum for a 168 grain. My 11x shoots the 168 the best out of all weights even though the 11x is suppose to be the best with 200-210. At least on paper. The paper nailed to the target is the only paper I am concerned with anymore. My next 30 cal barrel will be a 10x whether it get chambered in a 308 or 30-378. A 10x will digest any pill I send down it's gullet. Be it light, heavy, mono metal or jacketed.

Between my experience and those of many match shooters and more hunters you or I will ever know about, 10x barrels in 30 cal have accomplished just about everything.

We can argue all we want about the ins and the outs of barrel twist and what makes this twist 'proper' for this bullet and so on. The point here is, is that the 30 caliber is not as 'sensitive' as you think it is. Are there optimum twists for a given 30 cal bullet? Absolutely. Just like there is for a 270 or any other caliber. The point is a 10x 30 cal works excellent with 150s through 240s even though it is mathematically optimum with a 220 grain bullet that has a 10.7 specific gravity.

Is a 10x 30 cal Optimum for all bullets? No. Is a 30 cal magically more twist sensitive compared to other calibers? No. And that is the point.

If your smith recomended a given twist for a given bullet weight, it is because he is going with what is mathematically optimum for that bullet. That does not mean it will only work with one bullet. That is the WONDERFULL thing about custom barrels. You can order one with a twist that is optimum for the bullets you desire to shoot. With factory rifles, it does not work that way. The factory has no idea what you are going to run in it. That is why most factory 30 cal rifles come with 10x barrels. It will stabilize any factory ammo and 99% of handloads from 240 grains and lighter. You can stabilize a 125 with a 10x but you cant stabilize a 240 with a 12x.

M

If you are still looking for a gun I would say the .270 imo it is better then the others you are looking at. I got my fist and only .270 for my 16 th b-day and have put some 800 rounds thru it it still shoots a 3/4 inch groop. But imo last x-mas I got a 25-06 love it enuff power to kill coues and muleys out to 350 or 400 yards and elk to 200 yards. No recoil at all my 11 year old daughter got a 25-06 for x-mas and shoot it with no problem at all(she never shoot anything other then a bb gun) if you reload you can get soma awsome rounds for it. The only deer I have killed with it and it was a muley I hit him in the chest and he hit the dirt. If you get around Benson or Willcox and wanna try the 25-06 out let me know. I have even convenced my friend to put down his .270 and all it took one shot. Let me know.

If your a hand loader I like the .280 (sorry Lark). But I will never say a bad word about the .270 or .308 for that matter. Its all just a matter of opinion if you ask me.

But I like the .280 and .270 AND good ol .30-06 better that the .308. Just my opinion that does not mean crap.