Sign in to follow this  
Airbusdriver

.30-06 vs .270 vs .308: What do you like and why

This is the classic "Ford/Chevy/Dodge" argument as it pertains to rifles. In the next six months, I will be purchasing my first center fire rifle for the purpose of hunting deer here in AZ, with aspirations of eventually hunting elk.

I don't see myself shooting greater than 300 yards, and for the get go, I'm not interested in the .300 due to the heavy recoil. I know the .300 is a great round, but I want to enjoy the process of shooting and practice without having to ice my shoulder down after every session.

I've done a lot of research on ballistics on the .270/.308/.30-06. There are a lot of compelling reasons for shooting each caliber, but what it seems to come down to is that the animal couldn't care less. If the shot is well placed within a reasonable distance, there is going to be some meat on the table.

As always with a subject like this, people seem to favor what they grew up with or what they are shooting. I'm looking for your feedback based on the criteria that is important to me:

1) Efficiency- will the round do the job humanely?

2) Economics- being able to afford many factory rounds in order to get

proficient in shooting the weapon on target

3) Recoil management

Any info and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

You are going to get lots of answers and reasons. I'm all for the .270. I've shot 8 elk with a BAR .270 Win and 2 elk with my BAR .270 WSM at distances from 40 yds. to 475 yds. The .270 will do it all in AZ and shoots flatter than the .308 and '06. Remington makes low recoil rounds in the .270 and '06. You can get Remington 130 gr. Corelokts for around 25 bucks a box. What rifle you going to get?

I posted something similar last year. Ended up with a .270 and have not regretted my choice.

I agree 270!

Okay ... I'll bite. .30-06 ... The .270 is a great round. The .308 is a great round. Give a .30-06 a bit more barrel than most factories do, and let it use that powder. Of the three, that would be my choice. That said, my next non-magnum will be a .280 AI.

270 winchester ;) have taking many BIG game w/tht round..what rifle brands are u look at?

270 winchester ;) have taking many BIG game w/tht round..what rifle brands are u look at?

My son bought a .234 Weatherby Vanguard 2. So far, I'm pretty impressed with the gun. Since I'm on a pretty tight budget, I'll probably stick with Weatherby, or possibly go with a Howa 1500 (which makes actions for Weatherby).

For you .270 fans: grain for grain, how does the recoil compare to the .30-06?

For you .270 fans: grain for grain, how does the recoil compare to the .30-06?

http://kwk.us/recoil.html

if you're that concerned with recoil her is an application that you can enter different calibers, bullet weights, velocities and info about your gun of choice and compare recoil levels.

I have shot my friends 30 06, and I think it has noticably more recoil than my .270.

Thanks all for the input. You've helped me decide to take the .308 out of the mix. Based on the input I've heard here and elsewhere, I'm leaning towards the .270 The feed back I've received is about 80/20 in favor of .270 It sounds like .270 will work well for both deer and elk under 350 yards.

Now I just need to sit back and wait for those "rifle donations" to roll in! :P

I love a 30.06!!! most versatile round if you only have 1 rifle. you can get bullet weights to shoot a couse, or a Kodiak brown bear, and you can get that caliber in any Walmart or sporting shop in the USA where a person can hunt.