Sign in to follow this  
Airbusdriver

.30-06 vs .270 vs .308: What do you like and why

Both the 270win &30-06sprg are really good cals fr what yo look2 hunt elk,deer, but I would have to go w/270win &if u ever plan on hunting bullelk I suggest yo save up & go w/premium bullets

if you and I stood 300 yards apart one has an 06 and the other one has a 270, neither one of us will be alive to compare the results. both are great rounds and both guns will outshoot most people behind the stock (me included), I own both and have no complaints. heck I've seen elk dropped with a 243 no prolbem. I shot a bison with a 454 casull hand gun, depends on where you hit em.

There is nothing wrong with any of the three you've mentioned, but you may want to limit your choice to the .270 or the .30-06. The .308 is just a .30-06 with a shorter case, and anything it can do its older brother does better.

Bill Quimby

Nothing wrong with any of those - but you might get a little more versatility with a 7MM Mag, .270 WSM or .300 WSM. Same bullet selection but a little more umph.

308's are WAY under-rated. Only thing the 270 can do that the 308 can't has been mentioned already. Poke a smaller hole with less energy and shoot a little flatter. 30-06's are nice. I still prefer the 308. Shorter action (more rigid, shorter bolt throw, shorter lighter rifle etc...) less recoil, a multitude of reloading components, cheap to operate, SCARY accurate (by nature) efficient, barrels that last and last and last (if you dont abuse them). Dont worry about 'killing power' either. Shot placement and bullet selection (same appliles to ALL calibers) and there is not a critter on this continent it can't handle.

The 30-06 will always have more velocity potential than the 308. That said, not much and the fact is, with modern powders, 308s today are shooting faster than 30-06s were 20 years ago. 10 years ago for that matter.

You will never regret owning a 308.

It's worth mentioning that the term, "Go ahead and run, you'll just die tired" was coined by military snipers shooting Springfield .308 sniper rifles (M1A to be exact). Nothing spread fear among the battle fields more than a well-trained American sniper that could kill at 1000 yards - with one shot.

I agree with coach.."look at the .270 wsm" about 200 feet per second faster than 270 win and same bullet selection. My 10 year old sons shoot it without a problem with recoil, so I am pretty sure any adult could as well. .270 and 06 still good choices.....

I agree with coach.."look at the .270 wsm" about 200 feet per second faster than 270 win and same bullet selection. My 10 year old sons shoot it without a problem with recoil, so I am pretty sure any adult could as well. .270 and 06 still good choices.....

I looked at the .270 WSM at the advice of my neighbor...then I looked at the price of the ammo. :o

Get the rifle you like most. Then look at what calibers come in that rifle. Some rifles only come in certain calibers. That might be your deciding factor.

Right on. Pick the rifle that you like/fits. Then choose the caliber.

After hearing all of your inputs and the inputs of others, I've come to the following conclusions:

1. Shoot what rifle and caliber you're most comfortable with

2. None of the calibers discussed are bad

3. Cross hairs on target at a reasonable distance will get the job done

4. The deer doesn't care how fast or how big the bullet is

Have I missed anything??

Thanks again for all of the input

After hearing all of your inputs and the inputs of others, I've come to the following conclusions:

1. Shoot what rifle and caliber you're most comfortable with

2. None of the calibers discussed are bad

3. Cross hairs on target at a reasonable distance will get the job done

4. The deer doesn't care how fast or how big the bullet is

Have I missed anything??

Thanks again for all of the input

You have the right idea. Comfort and confidence along with rifle fit, feel, and adequete practice is far more important than your caliber selection. With the above in mind, you shouldn't be 'missing anything'. :) The confidence will come when you apply these principals.

M