I need some input from all you guys, I would like to rescope my trusty old 270 and yes I would love to drop a swarovski tds on it but i don't know how much will have, What else have you all had luck with? I am headed to wyoming and was told to be ready to shot 500 to 600 yards for antelope, I want to get it on the gun and start shooting to be ready.

Leupold vari x III is the best for your money, get the adjustable 4.5-14, you can use that for just about anything. Outdoor life did a study awhile back rating the best scopes you might try to find that as well. All I remember is that they considered the Zeiss overpriced for what you get. If you cant afford leupold try Burris, I have a few of each and have never had any trouble with them. Except when I am shooting at game, for some reason I always miss and they make me shake really bad, must be the weight of the scopes ;) AG

I have had great luck with the Bushnell Elite 4200 series scopes. They are really clear and have the Rain Guard so you don't have to worry about fogging. I think they are a great scope for the money. I personally like the 2.5-10x40.

Phil

Hey Doc it's not the weight of the scope it's that it starts to "vibrate and shake" when shooting at game animals! ;)

:

Hey Doc it's not the weight of the scope it's that it starts to "vibrate and shake" when shooting at game animals! :D

It sure is nice to know that there is someone else who has the same problem with their scopes, do they make vibration dampeners for those things? ;)

Get a Leupold, best scopes for the money and warranty is the best ;)

zeiss conquest!! better reticle,better clarity.go to sportsman's warehouse and check them both out together.that's the easiest way to find out what you'd like.the conquest is priced a little more than the leupold but I think it's worth it.good luck.

wade

Take a look at the Nikon stuff. Their Monarch line has some of the best glass in the world. As good a Leup. for a lot less money, and also has lifetime warranty. Glass is the same as in their ED line camera lenses.

Matt

Guest Ernesto C

500 to 600 yard shots?? Wow.........aren't you planning to get closer or what? I have hunted WY several times and yes,you can make those type of shots but there is no need becasue you can get them from 2 to 400 yards.

Any good variable scope will do it 3X9X40's should be the minumum and yes,swaros,busnells,redfields,nikons etc etc will do the job. Take a look at the Nikos Buckmaster on a 4X12X40....................I like it.

Good luck on your hunt,remember to share with us the story and pictures,God bless.

Ernesto C

Aim for the vitals

I need some input from all you guys, I would like to rescope my trusty old 270 and yes I would love to drop a swarovski tds on it but i don't know how much will have, What else have you all had luck with? I am headed to wyoming and was told to be ready to shot 500 to 600 yards for antelope, I want to get it on the gun and start shooting to be ready.

Nikon - best warranty, best glass, best value for $$. Nikon has a new BDC ( Bullet

Drop Compensating Reticle ) reticle due out in June. Price will be the same as standard plex reticles in the Nikon line.

I have 2 Burris scopes. A 3x9 x40 Fullfield 2 and a 4x12 compact with a 32mm objective. Both have worked great. I dropped my gun a couple years back and it smoked the variable adjustment knob. I sent it back to them (lifetime warranty) and it came back as good as new! I have been very pleased with them. I just know for the $, Burris is hard to beat. -Shiras

I have the VX-III with the B+C reticle and love it. I also have it on a 270 and the B+C reticle works perfectly with that caliber. I have the 4.5-14 but with my load I have to use it on 14X to use the extra reticles. You definitely need a good rangfinder to make it work, but it's deadly! JIM

500 yards? Where will you be hunting? I've killed maybe a dozen Wyoming antelope and helped at least that many friends shoot theirs at the Lander One Shot Antelope Hunts over the past 22 years. Neither I nor anyone with me had to shoot more than 250 yards. Most shots were considerably less than that.

BillQ

Nikon Buckmaster 3x9-40 is the all around best scope for the price. I'm a starving student and this scope cost about 200$ a couple years ago. It is the Best scope for the price.