Sign in to follow this  
Guest VinMan

December Has been Tuff So Far

Guest VinMan

Wow is all I can say. 1st real post here but been huntin Coues Deer since 1989 and must say this is by far the toughest December hunt in 34A that I've seen. And I've seen a few of them.

I have been in the Josephine Canyon and hiked over the ridges on the west side. Spent serious time glassing and not a darn thing. I've been over in the Melendez Pass area and not shoot to brag about. I've also spent several days just hiking with a rifle and beef jerky. Ain't seen shoot to talk about.

I remember when the deer down here used to be aboundant. My opinion after so many years hunting the same unit. It ain't just mountion lions.

IT'S GREED by AZGFD to make revenue. WoW my o'l late friend Pete Knagge told me this was going to happen back 20 years ago. You know what? He was on que.

Well still got a few more days maby I'll find a big one. We'll see.

Good luck.

V

lions are a problem undoubtedly,but hopefully you can find a good ol coues buck in the next week if not your bound to see a lion.

Lions arent the only problem when theres been over 2500 other hunters in the unit (36b) before the December hunt starts!

Dont worry, Im right there with you! I havent even seen a buck that would break 80!

Guest Del

It's probably the lions and the wolves. We all know that people are not the cause of this. Maybe it's the wind? Or even the radiation from Japan? That's it - radioactive lions and wolves!

Yup, definitely has nothing to do with the 2550 coues hunters that have already been in there!

I have said this before, IMO I do not think the Dec tags are what they once were. Guy on here had 34A Dec a couple years ago and hunted most of the hunt and had a TOUGH hunt. I had the 36C Dec hunt a couple years ago. Hunted 8 days and it was TOUGH. Neither my hunting partner or I tagged out. Like Casey said, you are in one of the more popular tag allocation units in the state. 33, 34A, 36B, these are the G&F's cash cow units. Good luck.

oh - FYI - Saturday is suppose to be an "excellent" day according to the solunar calendar.

it is going to be warming up next week. that might not help things much. going from the low to mid 50s in tucson to the mid to upper 60s.

Hey All. Newer member here, and this is my first post. Just have not harvested anything worth putting on here since I became a member. And yes, I still need to get my avatar posted.

I have the 34A Dec tag also. I must agree, this is been a rough one. My father and I were saying how Dec hunts in the past were much better hunts.

I have to aggree that there are far too many hunts going on now. Used to be three hunts, then they split it to four hunts. Plus all the junior hunts. These deer are chased four months straight. Add in the radioactive lions and wolves, and it makes for a tough season to say the least.

Opening weekend was decent. My father and I glassed many bucks, but none worth chasing. Yesterday and today were the first days we found some low to mid 90's bucks. Yesterday we also saw some early rutting activity. The weather the next two days should be the best, and since the moon phase is finally shrinking up, this weekend should be golden. Hopefully that is!!!

All I can hope for is that hard work will pay off for us.

Good luck Vin, hope to see ya out there.

Guest VinMan

There in the fingers of some of the burned areas. Had a nice 4x5 in my crosshair today and dang doe busted me bigger than life. Northern end of the mountain in the areas that burned is where I'm seeing the most deer today. Got a good fire and a good whiskey little chilly with some mini snow not bad.

V

It's probably the lions and the wolves. We all know that people are not the cause of this. Maybe it's the wind? Or even the radiation from Japan? That's it - radioactive lions and wolves!

:lol: :lol: wolves really :lol:

lions and to many hunters

Guest VinMan

I get a kick out of the wolf. Maby I should let out a howl. LoL !!!!!! OoooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhOoooooohhhhhhooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooo ooohoooo

I have said this before, IMO I do not think the Dec tags are what they once were

+1

Good Luck Vin Man! Keep the whiskey chilled and the rifle close! You never know when the BIG COUES GHOST is gonna come out!

AzP&Y