Sign in to follow this  
AzHunt

Opinions Needed

Ok everybody, I am in need of some opinions. I have a Remington 700 chambered in .308, heavy barrel, heavy wide stock. I have a Nikon Monarch 5.5-16 on top along with a 20 MOA rail, also has a harris bipod, and a Timney trigger. I have put appx. 50 rounds through it, and I haven't shot it in about 6 years. Now, my fiance went elk hunting with me this year and has expressed alot of interest in giving hunting a try. I want to do everything I can to make her hunting experience the best it can be so she can decide if she wants to pursue it or not (she loves to shoot my AR, in fact I thought she was going to have a fit when I told her we were out of ammo).

Ok, so here is the question(s):

Do I leave the heavy a$$ rifle as is and let her lug it around?

Do I re-barrel, and re-stock it to a more conventional hunting rifle?

Do I scrap it and simply purchase a new rifle?

Let me know what you would do given the same circumstances, I am really stuck on this one!!

Thanks in advance for all of your input!!!

Buy a rifle especially for your fiance, and keep the .308 for yourself. It is impossible to have to many rifles.

Bill Quimby

+1 not usually too hard to get the approval when she will be salivating over a new one just for her ;)

Here is what I did with my wife. Was in about the same boat 2 years ago. I sent my wife hiking around the rincons with my sendero 22-250 withch is close to the same weight as the one you discrebed she shot and killed her first thing ever. She was hooked but because of the cal I had to get her a new .270 and now I dont have my 22-250 anymore lol. She never said anything about the extra weight. If she really wants to start hunting I would let her choose but if she is leaning to a new gun then lead her to the gun that you are wanting if she don't keep hunting then you can have it but if she does keep on hunting then you have a bunch of new reasons why you need that gun as well. That worked for me I now have a Rem 700 25-06 with a VX-III 4.5-14 just because of the samething you are asking about. Hope this helps you in some way

Sounds like you have a good setup all ready, not alot of recoil with th 308. If the gun fits her and she doen't mind the weight then your good to go. Or if you can get away buying another rifle even better, but like stated above in another post buy one that you like as well!

Seen this many times. Just buy her her own rifle. She will be much happier. The 260 Remington gets my vote. Its good enough for elk with the right bullet and has very mild recoil.

I bought my wife a 243 770 for her first cow elk hunt, used for chaep cause she couldnt shoot my 06. she shot beer cans at 350 yards and loves her gun to death. BECAUSE IT'S HERS. cheap gun as it is, she loves it to death and is deadly with it. Didnt kill and elk but had we seen any. she would have.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of your replies and thought everybody. I do think the best option is to let her have her own rifle. Like you guys said, she is going to shoot and enjoy shooting "HER" rifle the best!!