Sign in to follow this  
jvsmithbow

where to go on San Carlos

I am going to be hunting on the San Carlos Reservation in area "D" from now until Jan. 15th, 2012. I was going to go DIY. Any suggestions on where to camp and hunt would be appreciated. I was told I could hire daily guides at the reservation headquarters if I wanted. Any thoughts on that? Thanks. jvsithbow

I thought a guide was required in unit D? If not then go to the other side of the lake into unit D and take first major dirt road to the right, you should see signs that you are in unit D, and hunt in about 2 miles. the foothills hold some big bucks.

I think they changed it so no guide is required for the coues hunts, but it's always best to double check with the dept.

If you have the money, I would hire a tribal guide to help you since it sounds like you are not familiar with the unit. The guides can help save you a bunch of time and some are really good at coues hunting. Dewey Wesley Jr, Monster (Wilfred) Dude, Randy Hopkins, Homer Stevens, Julius Hostetler are a few that I would contact.

I am going to be hunting on the San Carlos Reservation in area "D" from now until Jan. 15th, 2012. I was going to go DIY. Any suggestions on where to camp and hunt would be appreciated. I was told I could hire daily guides at the reservation headquarters if I wanted. Any thoughts on that? Thanks. jvsithbow

HIRE A GUIDE

HIRE A GUIDE

Good advice!

I thought a guide was required in unit D? If not then go to the other side of the lake into unit D and take first major dirt road to the right, you should see signs that you are in unit D, and hunt in about 2 miles. the foothills hold some big bucks.

thanks for the information.

I think they changed it so no guide is required for the coues hunts, but it's always best to double check with the dept.

If you have the money, I would hire a tribal guide to help you since it sounds like you are not familiar with the unit. The guides can help save you a bunch of time and some are really good at coues hunting. Dewey Wesley Jr, Monster (Wilfred) Dude, Randy Hopkins, Homer Stevens, Julius Hostetler are a few that I would contact.

thank you for your help. I will look in guides once I arrive there.