Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Dryer Sheets for Gnats ?

Dryer sheets used to repel Gnats? Someone bring a box to Marshall Lake in June ;)

"Gnats No More. Fabric softener sheets not only repel static cling but pests. A joint study last year by Kansas State University and University of Illinois found out that fabric softener sheets repel gnats. Fabric softener contains chemicals that prevent gnat larva from wreaking havoc on indoor and greenhouse potted plants. "

https://sharepoint.cahnrs.wsu.edu/blogs/urbanhort/archive/2011/01/04/bounce-%E2%80%93-it%E2%80%99s-not-just-a-fabric-softening-sheet-.aspx

OK - so are we suppose to use them with our clothes in dryer or carrying them around in our pockets?

While reloadong during summer months at my parents house in Tucson, I have stuck them in the back of my socks and it tends to work.... My parents have a 165 'pond' in the backyard and there are mosquitos everywhere. When I reload I usually wear high socks or sweatpants. I don't have to do that anymore as using dryer sheets actually does work.

Vanilla Lace lotion by Victoria Secret or Skin So Soft Lotion works better. My brother lives in South Lousiana and while some cajuns have used dryer sheets on and off for the last 20+ years the others work better. Of course you can always just use Cutters or ThermaCell.

Vanilla Lace lotion by Victoria Secret or Skin So Soft Lotion works better. My brother lives in South Lousiana and while some cajuns have used dryer sheets on and off for the last 20+ years the others work better. Of course you can always just use Cutters or ThermaCell.

Awesome... Mossy oak head-to-toe carrying a gun tromping through the brush grunting and then top it off with a pink bottle of Vanilla Lace from Victoria's Secret to keep the little gnats away... Man card: REVOKED!!! haha. It probably works, but a few gnat bites are worth the years of ridicule I'd endure in camp.

The dryer sheets do work some even stuck in your pockets. Or you could just bring me on your hunt as the dang skeeters and gnats seem to love me. My dad and one of my buddies commented they were glad I was there on our last duck hunt because the bugs weren't bothering them at all. Of course I told them it was because they taste like $hi^...

Awesome... Mossy oak head-to-toe carrying a gun tromping through the brush grunting and then top it off with a pink bottle of Vanilla Lace from Victoria's Secret to keep the little gnats away... Man card: REVOKED!!! haha. It probably works, but a few gnat bites are worth the years of ridicule I'd endure in camp.

I hear ya! My brother usually just has some Off on his boat which is what we use but it is a little too much for little kids. They have not really had a freeze down there yet so I am sure that the bugs will be thick when I go down at the end of this month for his birthday and some serious fishing, which is funtastic. He doesn't hunt but is a fishin machine and there is so much marsh down there you probably couldn't fish all of it in two lifetimes. Then there is the Gulf for the big tuna and such. They call it Sportsmans Paradise for a reason.