Sign in to follow this  
200"mulie

2012 Archery blog

Jan. 1st has me down in 36B looking for deer and maybe a pig. Show up at sunrise and started walking down a finger to check a water hole. Immediately jump 7 mule deer had a 2x3 at 130 yards...ended up being 3 bucks with 4 doe's...two spikes where the other two. Shortly after that i jumped two whitetail doe's. Finally got to the water hole.....it was dry. Hiked up out of the canyon and now it's getting warm...still haven't seen any whitetail bucks. Got to the top of another ridge and sit in the shade. Just as i get situated to glass i see 3 deer on the next ridge with my naked eye. Was a doe and 2 fawns they kept feeding while i glassed else where. Didn't see anothr thing but the doe and 2 little ones fed right to me up to 120 yards . It's really warm now 12 noon....decide to call it a day.

Jan. 2nd has me down in 34A....still wanting to get a big deer. Get to the spot and start glassing right before sun rise. Took me awhile but finally spotted 3 doe's but they are in the bottoms like they were 2 weeks ago. Started walking a road that stayed in the bottom and glassed another deer making there way threw the thicket. Shortly after that i heard a rock flip over. So i waited but i was in the open with the sun shining on me. Then at 15 yards walks out a doe...she kinda pegs me but she is looking right into the sun so she walks on. She goes another 10 yards and finally smelt me and took off taking another doe with her. Didn't see another thing after that. Change locations to the dragoons and got skunked didn't see anything.

Jan.. 7th im up in 37A looking for a mule deer buck a big one!....i get out early so i can get my parking spot. waited 20 minutes as the place fills up with hunters pig and quail. I get out and start glassing the fingers i last found them last year. After ten minutes i'm getting concerned that i have picked the wrong area and waste half a day. Then all of a sudden i hear pigs feeding behind me....turned out to be half dozen pigs they came up to 40 yards and busted me with the swirling wind. Confident i would find some deer i work the fingers....and there are lots of quail calling all over....Then i cross over a small saddle and bust the deer i've been looking for small 4x4 with two doe's. Now it's getting warm again and i start heading to the truck. I ran into another hunter... we talked for a bit then went our own ways. I changed locations and went to 33 to find that big buck i've seen in the summer: post-4084-0-86982000-1326174845_thumb.jpg

I get to my glassing spot just before noon and find a doe...soon after i find a decent 3x3 with a doe and keeping two smaller bucks away. The only problem is they are far far away. I get out and start hiking out and figuring out a plan to get this buck. I get about half way out and only took bout an hour. I set back and cool off in a thicket next to a small gorge. I glass and glass and not finding deer....figure they are bedded and will get up soon. About 2:45 i glass up a doe starting to feed again...but by herself. Then i noticed movement in the dense brush...thinking it has to be a deer! Moving my head around trying to see...i finally bring up my binos and YUP it's a deer (made out his eyeball, part of an antler, and his nose). Crap he has me pegged ... had a standoff for another minute then he took off. I whipped out my call and grunt to him...thinking it's thick cover and there are lots of deer in here. And it works he is on the other side of the gorge looking back my way...i range the gorge at 58 yards. Perfect .... he steps behind a tree...i draw...he walks out broadside. I put the 60 yard pin on him and let it go......THWACK! Buck whips around and starts looking in all directions...oh no i dont see blood...and he takes off. I get up over to the other side. Pretty easy to find my arrow it buried under a rock. IT was clean dry...oh well. The only thing i can think of is the deer ducked....cause it just barely missed.

Well going back out this weekend to hopefully fill my tag..

You'll find him again! I CAN FEEL IT, the force is with you.

very cool!

thanks for the play by play!

james

Don't give up it will eventually happen and good luck next time. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ