Sign in to follow this  
azbowhunter22

First timer ?'s

Hello everyone, this will be my first attempt at hunting the Javalina. I have already found a lot of useful information on this forum, Thank you. I am hoping someone can give me some more specific info on the unit I have a rifle tag for(16a) preferably in the area of Blake Ranch rd in the foothills of the Hualapai mtns. I have scouted for two weekends in a row and have found some decent sign (tracks & scat) but not a lot and no visual of any pigs. If anyone could give me some pointers on this area or Javalina hunting in general it would be greatly appreciated as I am very excited to harvest one of these elusive creatures.

Thank You,

get on top of the tallest mtn around and glass with a tripod, if it's cold out glass the sunny slopes, if it's warm glass the shade, if you found tracks (they are almost square in size) and poop then there are pigs within a mile of you.

I think javelinahunters.com has some information. Not exactly sure if that's the site or not but its something like that. I don't know the area you're at or I'd offer some information.... its not like there's a Boone and Crockett or pope and young pig you're asking for.... heck, its just a pig. Good luck and hope you find some.

Thank you for the tips so far and I have found lots of useful information on Javalinahunter.com. With it being as warm as it has(60 for highs), will they move higher into the mountains or should I focus down in the washes?

Thanks again for any additional input.

I remember when I first started hunting pigs I had the hardest time trying to figure out where they were. I would find sign and tracks, but no pigs. After a couple years of no success, I went down to the local library and read everything I could about javelina. The following season I was armed and determined to find these pigs. It didn't take me long to find a herd while scouting. Opening morning of the archery season had me glassing the hillside where I had found them earlier. I found them within the first ten minutes and made my move. Twenty minutes later I had my first pig on the ground. After that season, it was almost easy to locate them.

One thing to search for is the prickly pear that is shreaded. Make sure it is not from cattle in the area. When you find that, start looking for what looks like dogs digging around the roots of trees. I have also found where they would eat on the bottoms of Palo Verde trees. Once you have found a feeding area, use your nose to locate the smell of the herd. It is similar to skunk. Most herds like the sun facing side of the mountains in the mornings, but I have found them everywhere. Get a mile or so off a road and you should have trouble finding these signs. Wear out those boots a little also. Hope this helps. David

I have enjoyed reading everyone's tips and success stories. I have done lots of scouting and still have yet to see any pigs. I do think I have been close to them as I have heard and smelled them but it was in the thick stuff and didn't want to go in and spook them where I will be hunting them on Friday. It has not been extremely cold out there, do you guys think they could be moving early in the morning?

How is afternoon and evening hunting for these things?

Again any help is much appreciated, My little girl will be turning ten this summer and can't wait to get her out to hunt them as well.

Thank You,

Dan

If they are in a thicket and you can hear them, sit where you can watch the escape routes. One will eventually show itself. You also could try getting above the thicket and tossing a few SMALL rocks into it to try to get them moving.

If you're impatient, try using a mouth-blown varmint call. Call continuously and shrilly. If you see one or two, don't stop calling until you feel you have time to grab your rifle and shoot it.

Sometimes a herd's first reaction to a call is to bolt in the opposite direction, but if you keep calling, the herd usually will stop, turn around and head back to you.

Another tip: If you miss a shot at an animal that is on its feeding ground, don't move. The herd may run off, but it often will return to the same spot 15 to 30 minutes later.

Good luck.

Bill Quimby

Well, I have hunted hard all weekend still w/o seeing any pigs. Had to come back into work but hope to get back out there Wednesday and Thursday. Has anybody had or heard of any luck in 16A?