Sign in to follow this  
AzHunt

Scope Question

I am in the market for a new scope and I have been doing alot of looking and a lot of research. One question that sticks in my mind is the use of drop compensating reticles versus target/hunting turrets. What is everyone's opinion as to which is better? Also, why would you have a scope that has both a ballistic reticle AND adjustable turrets like in the Zeiss Conquest scopes?

I'm glad you asked that question. Unfortunately I can't answer it because I have been wondering the same thing. It makes Sence that the extra reticles would be faster as a known reference, but which cross hair do you use with your turrets?

I'm glad you asked that question. Unfortunately I can't answer it because I have been wondering the same thing. It makes Sence that the extra reticles would be faster as a known reference, but which cross hair do you use with your turrets?

i think you would use the top crosshair with the turret, i have decided to go with a mil dot or tmr reticle so that if i was in a hurry i could use the dots that would be a known yardage but if i had time i would dial in the turret and hold dead nuts but thats just my opionion

I always prefer turrets AND hold over reticles. If given the chance, I will dial. The purpose in also having a MIL or MOA reticle is:

1: If your rangfinder takes a crap, these can be used as a rangefinder with a simple formula and knowing the average target size. With a bit of practice, I have been able to consistently attain +/- 25 yards out to 750 yards on the game I hunt.

2: In hunting, you sometimes DO NOT have the time to dial. Hold over points are pretty easy to memorize out to 600 yards. Need be, you can range your target then point and shoot.

Hope that helps.

M

i definately perfer a ffp mildot with target turrets. this way i can use my mils to hold for wind easier and dial for my yardage. or knowing where my mils are if i have to snap off a quick shot when i cant dial. my buddy smoked his pig at 352 yds this past weekend with my 6.5x284... he forgot to hold for wind the first shot but the second i could tell him hold 1 mil, an exact dot not him guessing what distance he would be holding off the pig, for wind and he smoked it

The best scope on the market is a NightForce a little pricy but definitely worth it. zeiss is a good scope also, not as expensive

Turrets is the way to go.

IMHO, if speed/rushing the shot is the reason for the extra reticles, than perhaps the shot isn't there/shouldn't be taken.

If one doesn't have the 15 seconds it takes to reference the chart, click the turrets, find your target and kill it than maybe there's not a ethical shot there.

i think the need for the dots would be when you shoot and miss and the animal runs and stops gives you a better chance to wack em

Turrets is the way to go.

IMHO, if speed/rushing the shot is the reason for the extra reticles, than perhaps the shot isn't there/shouldn't be taken.

If one doesn't have the 15 seconds it takes to reference the chart, click the turrets, find your target and kill it than maybe there's not a ethical shot there.

Is refering to a chart, clicking turrets, finding your target and squeezing off a shot in 15 seconds not a speed/rushing situation? Is that ethical? IMHO, that is rushing to dial. Perhaps that shot shouldnt be taken.

If all I had was 15 seconds, I assure you I would not be refering to my chart and dialing and finding my target and making a shot. IMHO, that is a very rushed shot. If all you had was 15 seconds, your odds of making a clean kill are much higher being able to use a holdover than refering to a chart and dialing.

How many of us can remember how many MOA it takes for a 450 yards shot, or a 550 yard shot or a 600 yard shot? Most will have to refer to a chart. It is much easier to remember that 400 yards equals one hold over, 500 yards equals two holdovers, 600 yards equals 3 holdovers etc...Anything at 450 and 550 is as simple as splitting the difference between 400/500 and 500/600. Most rifle/load combos can be very easy to optimize with various reticles in this way by setting a zero at 200, 250 or 300 yards. You just need to range and hold. I admit that this works only to a point since after 600 yards you really need to account for changes in temps and pressure and that while holdovers can easily be made to work well with 3,4,5 and 600 yards (sometimes 650) it is very difficult to make all that work with 700 yards too.

Moose, and dall sheep, like mule deer and other game animals often stop for one last look (often times long enough for an 'ethical' holdover shot) before diving into the brush or over the canyon's edge. When they are on the move, you should be getting prone and getting on target. When they stop you give them a quick range, you hold over and fire. Is that 'ethical'? It depends on the situation. Often times, having a reticle that you can dope with instead of dial is more ethical since you are not 'rushing' to dial. Then there are coues bucks. How often do they give you just a few minutes of visiblity? Now you see them, now you don't. While they are walking through that small opening you can range them and the edge of the brush they are headed to and then be getting in position instead of dialing. If they stop before they get into the brush on the other side, a hold over reticle is invaluable. You need to be on target and on the trigger ASAP. If they don't stop, then you had no shot either way.

At least with turrets and reticle references, you have options. The more options you have, the more the odds will be in your favor.

I don't consider 15 seconds rushed.... In that, i'm not including the prep work for the shoot.... I was implying that getting comfortable, ranging,doping the wind was already complete. Just had to check the chart, dial and squeeze. for me, that its enough time to make a accurate ethical shot.