Sign in to follow this  
Stryker1

Newbie help Unit 20a

Hello all! I am not only to this forum, but also a newbie to game hunting. I am trying very hard to learn on my own. I have read almost every suggestion on the best scouting and hunting tactics for javelina and attempting to apply them. I am not one that expects or asks for help unless I have made an honest attempt to achieve results first. A little background first. I purchased an over the counter tag for the Spring 20a hunt. I did this because my best friend wanted to also go hunting. He lives in Anthem, so I decided that it would be easier to travel his direction. On the day over the counter tags were available, i purchased mine when azgfd opened. He decided mid-morning that he wasnt going to go. So has left me on my own, which I am okay with. I live approximately 2-2.5 hrs from various parts of the unit. I have gone out scouting 4 times in the last month and a half. The first time i went to Turkey Creek, just north of Cleator. Came across a small wash with signs (destroyed prickly pear cactus, rooted areas, and scat). So i hiked up the nearest ridge and sat behind the binos for a couple of hours, but saw nothing. It was past noon, so I decided it was probably to late for movement, so packed up and came home. Went back the following weekend to same area. Only could go for the morning, this time, much earlier. Still no movement. The third time, i decided to move areas, after reading some old forum posts from another site, i headed to to kirkland area on wagoneer road. Went out and scouted a few miles east of j-bar ranch. Still nothing. Fourth trip out was a couple of washes east of iron springs road around Skull Valley. Guess what.?.? Again nothing. So now , I am asking for some guidance for areas or better techniques. Thanks in advance to all. I look forward to being a member here, and hope to participate as much as my knowledge allows me to.

if the sign in the first place you went was plentiful and recent, stay there, the pigs are somewhere close. time behind the binos is what produces the most results for me. imagine yourself checking out every piece of grass, when you have done that, slow down some more and you will find pigs, they can hide behind the smallest bushes. but ive never hunted the area so i cant help you out there

if the sign in the first place you went was plentiful and recent, stay there, the pigs are somewhere close. time behind the binos is what produces the most results for me. imagine yourself checking out every piece of grass, when you have done that, slow down some more and you will find pigs, they can hide behind the smallest bushes. but ive never hunted the area so i cant help you out there

That is all you need. Cleator area is a solid place to start, and sign is better. I still have the hardest time glassing those buggers. Remember they arent going to be moving as much as a deer and they actually look like bushes!

Find Desoto Road and head to the west and north--glass all of the draws that are in that area--sounds like you are close to this area already.

AZ game & Fish sent out an email giving advise to Hunters in very similar situations to yours. IT will be very close to unit 20A/

Check it out http://www.huntingfair.com/

YOu have been looking in good spots. Come opening day and weekend you will see more movement from other hunters pushing the animals around a bit more. Good luck

Thanks, I am probably going to fast, being too anxious.

Find Desoto Road and head to the west and north--glass all of the draws that are in that area--sounds like you are close to this area already.

Just went on Google Earth, Desoto Rd. is only about 3 miles west of my last GPS track in that area. Hopefully will get back out this weekend one last time before my hunt. Still mixed on site. It has also been suggested to take Copper Basin Rd. by Skull Valley. Cleator is closer to my house, but only by about 45 mins.

Thanks too everyone so far for the suggestions. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad. I was getting gas in Congress two weekends ago, and ran into the producer and one of the main hunters on the TV show Intrepid Outdoors (NBC Sports). He and 3 other hunters got skunked on a 7 day hunt. The guy gets paid to hunt and had the same outcome. I guess it its just like anything else, pay days come from being in the right spot at the right time.

Thanks too everyone so far for the suggestions. I guess I shouldn't feel too bad. I was getting gas in Congress two weekends ago, and ran into the producer and one of the main hunters on the TV show Intrepid Outdoors (NBC Sports). He and 3 other hunters got skunked on a 7 day hunt. The guy gets paid to hunt and had the same outcome. I guess it its just like anything else, pay days come from being in the right spot at the right time.

Well based on the help of the other forum members. I am headed out this afternoon to the Cleator area. I am excited to actually go on my first hunt and have cleared out the entire weekend, although I hope that I am home Friday afternoon. Thanks you everyone for your help.

I have seen herds near the Cleator area in the past. They were usually close to the bottom of the ridges, sometimes in the washes. David