Huntin'AZ

ARIZONA RESIDENT HUNTER ALERT

"Can't we all just get along" ...Rodney King ( a great Californian)

We have certainly already lost the fight if this is your response.

If we hunters allow, and even encourage, our states to manage our game based on political (protectionist) expediency, our hunting rights are doomed and the clock is running. My facitious example of a 10% excise tax on goods bound for Arizona has blinded you to how real such a thing is and how harmfull and distructive it is. Can you not see that you are advocating such a "tax" on me by your idea to limit access to "your" animals? By limiting hunting to any person, resident or not, you are setting in motion a chain of events which will inevitably and consequently end your access to the same animals you have chosen to limit me from. In otherwords, you limit me today, tommorrow you will be limited.

Here's the next idea; Lets take the robertson/roos tax on sporting goods and distribute it according to population, or by where that tax is collected. That means California, with 10% of the population will receive 10% of that money. Also, shouldn't California receive 10% of all federal wildlife funds? Shouldn't federal BLM and National Forest money be spent where there is equal access to the resources that graze on Federal land, consequently, shouldn't states that choose to limit that access be limited in those funds? If that happened Arizona would have to roll up the carpet on hunting. Do you see where I'm going yet? Once, the anti's get US battling each other and convincing US to act in a protectionist way, we all lose!!

You have been blinded by your own short term self interest in advocating such a protectionalist plan. You have opened pandoras box.

M

I think the one thing that is forgotten is that uso sued us, we didn't just wake up one morning and decide to make it residnt v. non-resident issue, uso did that. I think you can ask just about any non-resident who has hunted in AZ and I doubt they were treated badly, and on this forum I have seen several get information on where, when, and how to hunt Coues deer. Any CA resident can still drive over and buy an archery tag to hunt deer, and turkey, not to mention they can buy and over the counter tag to hunt bear and yes you can still hunt LIONS here, just look at the many pictures posted just this year, and ours don't even have to eat a person to be hunted. So I personally think AZ still has great hunting opportunities for anybody, and the prices are still cheaper than most. The hunting opportunities are changing for all of us everyday and the easiest place for us to let our kids hunt is in the state we live in, be it small or large game, and anything out of state is a bonus, we should all always help each individual state keep their hunting opportunities. Good Luck to all in this years draw, but I still have a bow so I will hunt anyway.

Just another day at the political office where the takers are always worried about what someone else is being handed. The focus is too often on who gets the biggest piece of pie, rather than how to make the most of our own piece no matter what size.

If that happened Arizona would have to roll up the carpet on hunting? ?NO THAT?S CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!

Elk

Elk hunting is restricted to residents only. There are 3 Roosevelt Elk hunts, 1 Rocky Mountain Elk hunt, and 5 Tule Elk hunts. There is a quota of 100 tags statewide divided between those different hunts.

Auction Tags - There are also Auction Elk Tags available, that may be purchased by anyone. There are 3 Tule Elk tags available, in the Grizzly Island and Owens Valley Units this year.

Antelope

The regular Antelope drawing is restricted to residents only. 99% of the population is in the northeastern part of the state. The outlook for this year is pretty good. It has been improving slowly but steadily since the 1992-93 winter die-off. Some real trophy bucks are taken every year. There are also some special Auction Antelope Tags (vary in number) that are sold through non-profit organizations like the Mule Deer Foundation, FNAWS, etc. at convention banquets, dinners, etc. Anyone can buy these tags, and they allow you to hunt anywhere in the state, plus, the season starts the week before the regular residents-only season.

Pick up a bow and come over and hunt the most incredible place on the planet.

AzP&Y

"Can't we all just get along" ...Rodney King ( a great Californian)

We have certainly already lost the fight if this is your response.

If we hunters allow, and even encourage, our states to manage our game based on political (protectionist) expediency, our hunting rights are doomed and the clock is running. My facitious example of a 10% excise tax on goods bound for Arizona has blinded you to how real such a thing is and how harmfull and distructive it is. Can you not see that you are advocating such a "tax" on me by your idea to limit access to "your" animals? By limiting hunting to any person, resident or not, you are setting in motion a chain of events which will inevitably and consequently end your access to the same animals you have chosen to limit me from. In otherwords, you limit me today, tommorrow you will be limited.

Here's the next idea; Lets take the robertson/roos tax on sporting goods and distribute it according to population, or by where that tax is collected. That means California, with 10% of the population will receive 10% of that money. Also, shouldn't California receive 10% of all federal wildlife funds? Shouldn't federal BLM and National Forest money be spent where there is equal access to the resources that graze on Federal land, consequently, shouldn't states that choose to limit that access be limited in those funds? If that happened Arizona would have to roll up the carpet on hunting. Do you see where I'm going yet? Once, the anti's get US battling each other and convincing US to act in a protectionist way, we all lose!!

You have been blinded by your own short term self interest in advocating such a protectionalist plan. You have opened pandoras box.

M

I still don't know what point you are trying to make here. I moved here from Fontana Cali. back in 83 :D Best thing I ever did....... But you my friend, have a bitch about our game and fish dept. :( We who live in Az. are FIRST in line and you my friend will just have to wait :D

Guest Ernesto C

migolito, thanks for making me laugh :D You know yesterday I was going to tell you exactly the same thing that my fellow members here just told you today. But I said no,there is no reason to tell him,he would not understand.........and guess who's rigth? Like I said before my friend,God bless you.

Ernesto C

Am I wrong or dosen't other states have a 10% rule also. I believe Utah and Nevada are at 10 %. They have seperate drawings for residents and non residents.Plus I belive they also have designated trophy areas where non-resident opportunity is well below 10%. Just because we have many trophy quality animals in Elk and Antelope everyone wants Arizona to be wide open. Don't forget we still have over the counter archery deer tags. I might be greedy , but I support our 10% rule however instituted.

Bob

If that happened Arizona would have to roll up the carpet on hunting? ?NO THAT?S CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!

Elk

Elk hunting is restricted to residents only. There are 3 Roosevelt Elk hunts, 1 Rocky Mountain Elk hunt, and 5 Tule Elk hunts. There is a quota of 100 tags statewide divided between those different hunts.

Auction Tags - There are also Auction Elk Tags available, that may be purchased by anyone. There are 3 Tule Elk tags available, in the Grizzly Island and Owens Valley Units this year. Please note that these tags have already been sold. The season will be 31 days long.

Antelope

The regular Antelope drawing is restricted to residents only. 99% of the population is in the northeastern part of the state. The outlook for this year is pretty good. It has been improving slowly but steadily since the 1992-93 winter die-off. Some real trophy bucks are taken every year. There are also some special Auction Antelope Tags (vary in number) that are sold through non-profit organizations like the Mule Deer Foundation, FNAWS, etc. at convention banquets, dinners, etc. Anyone can buy these tags, and they allow you to hunt anywhere in the state, plus, the season starts the week before the regular residents-only season.

Pick up a bow and come over and hunt the most incredible place on the planet.

AzP&Y

Wow :D you know alot about my state :D

We are all nonresidents and as each state makes it harder for nonresidents to draw tags we will loose opportunity to hunt game that may not live in our state, lose hunters and each state will lose revenue. Alot of states have a 10% cap but if they gave 15% maybe it wouldn't be such an issue. Wishful thinking maybe.

In a recent issue of NSSF?s ?Bullet Points? weekly news bulletin, there were links to stories about the hunting decline. For example, one editorial in The Portland Oregonian lamented that thousands of Beaver State hunters have quit because they could no longer justify the cost, and because they were faced with ?phone-book-thick regulations? and a ?blizzard of no-trespassing signs.? They have also been discouraged by a management scheme that established limited-entry tag drawings ?which break up hunting parties and keep many eager hunters at home every fall.?

You may as well add Arizonas scheme to limit non-residents to the NSSFs bulletin. I'm sure the Oregan hunters embrassed thier own schemes as much as some of you advocate limiting non-residents in Arizona now.

M

How many elk and deer do you estimate Arizona has? You really think we can just give every hunter who wants to hunt a tag? We wait many years to hunt OUR OWN STATE, let alone someone elses? It's not about keeping you out, it's about the residents of the state getting some preference.

I see you never answered the questions we had about YOUR state not even letting NR apply for elk or antelope.

I'm willing to bet that California has at least 10X, if not 20X more deer than AZ. I know Colorado and Wyoming do, as do alot of midwestern states. We have a very limited resource.

Ok DesrtBull I'll answer your question about California. California is all screwed up. We not only limit tags to non-residents, we limit them to residents based not on sound animal/habitat management, but, on political consideration. California is currently considering prohibiting fishing in our nearshore(3 miles) fisheries for much of the state. Please note I did say prohibit. This based on soley political consideration as no science supports the concept and it was voted on by, you guessed it, our state legislature. California voters(with the help of many misinformed hunters groups) banned mountain lion hunting several years ago and set aside several hundred million dollars to "preserve" mountain lions. Of course these non-endangered mountain lions soon outgrew thier habitat and have devastated the deer population and almost completely eliminated several clans of desert bighorn sheep. ALL doe hunts in California are strictly authorized, not by science or our Depatment of Fish and Game, but, by each county board of supervisors.

Have you noticed a consistent theme in my diatribe? Our (California) wildlife are quite literally controlled 100% by polititions, not by science and not by an independent Department of Fish and Game !

Do you feel better now? Now back to your(Arizona) problem. You have ignorantly and arrogantly invited a political answer to a non existent problem. Worse yet, you proudly defend your ignorant choice. You have been sold a bill of goods under the guise of 'Arizona for Arizonians!'. If you think for a minute that that wasn't the same way it happened here first, think again. It also happened in Montana, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, etc. Each and every time the long term impact has resulted in LESS hunting for residents and non-residents because funding was lost due to less hunters, less tourism, and what was left was reallocated to cover non-game species care and feeding. You Arizonians have decided to close your border so dang tight that you failed to look around at your neighboring states to see the ill effect after they did what your state is considering doing now. Your so dang intent on defending your position with blind patriotic passion that your screwing your kids out of a hunting future. Hunters numbers have never been so low. Hunting rifle sale, equipment, clothing have never been so low, despite huge population growth. You, not your moronic polititions, are setting in motion a course of action out of your knee jerk "geez, sounds good to me..." reaction that can only lead one place. If you want to know where that place is...look west at California.

Frankly, if this is an example of hunters opinions and depths of thought in Arizona, you have already lost.

M

Migolito

Dude, you ever been a political speech writer? Your theories sound a bit like AlGore's rambling, doom and gloom global warming speeches! :ph34r:

Seriously, Comparing AZ and CA game managment is a bit like comparing a prison warden to a game warden. With such a fine example of what not to do all along the left of AZ , most AZ hunters won't be a part of letting that happen.

It is funny how very few people complained a few years ago when ten percent was the norm., then we get sued and its a free for all, no limits, + a bunch of extra tags that were suddenly made available to keep it (FAIR). Now we are back to ten percent and a lot of people are crying foul, fifteen percent would be fair and noone would complain, except the people that want twenty or thirty or well there really shouldn't be no limits because it is public land or federal land or whatever. At this point I don't care what you think migolito, we as hunters of this state will continue to fight for what we believe in and then if it turns on us we will have ourselves to blame. I think you need to try to rally your california residents and try to get back what you have already lost and stop worrying about whether you can get a tag in AZ every year. No matter what happens somebody is always going to have a problem with something, and if it is a fight in AZ for our hunting rights, at least it is a fight, we haven't just given up.

az4life we have to remember that this website is possible because of AlGore, didn't he say he invented the internet, and if he said it it must be true. not

KGaines,

You need to remove your tag line from Gen. Patton below all your posts. Even though he was a Californian he didn't just fight for California. He understood the fight was much bigger than that. And, unlike you, he never settled for a truce with those who would take away his freedom....