Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

which of these for elk

i am going to start reloading my 30-06 for elk, this is the primary use of this gun so i want to know what would be the best.

165 accubond

180 accubond

180 tsx

200 tsx

180 interbond

200 accubond?

looking for decent FPS but i want it to hit like a ton of bricks

i have hear a lot about the TSX just drilling through so that is at about the bottom of my list.

Casey,

You should consider the Sierra 165 or 180 SBT Gameking. Either perform very well out of both my and my wifes 06. They are very accurate and drop elk or oryx well! Plus, they are exactly half as expensive as accubonds!

Kevin

Casey,

I know there has been some bad things said about Nosler Partitions, but I've found them to do great on Elk and Oryx. For 30.06 I would go with 180 grain. My Dad shot a bull once square in the shoulder, went strait through, broke the other one, and exited. Bull just hit the dirt! I also use them in a .270 in 150 grain for Elk and Oryx and again have had no problem. The best thing is they are usually not as expensive as other bullets. Sorry, I don't know much about the bullets you were asking about.

Travis

Any one of those bullets flung out of an '06 will knock a bull elk's dick in the dirt... Provided that you do your job and put it in the vitals. Try a few different bullets and go with the ones that seem to shoot the best out of your rifle.

By the way, I'd concur with a previous opinion and put out another vote for 180 gr. Nosler Partitions.... Folks have been killing elk with them for many years.........

I second 5yearcoueshunter, I used Nosler and have had very good luck.

I used to try all the bigger rounds but they just came out with the bullet path of a sling shot! I went to the 150 soft point and never had a problem with nocking the fluff out of an elk, even out to long ranges!

The only Elk I have shot with a rifle I shot using a .300 win mag hurling 180gr Nosler Partitions, granted this was a whimpy New Mexico elk, not our big stud Az elk but I was pleased with the performance of the bullet. In the months prior to the hunt I loaded 100 rounds with the Partitions and shot everything from rabbits to Coyotes and they even work well on much smaller game :P

i have a 270, 270 wsm 30-06 and 7mag, the reason i want to use the 30-06 is it justifies it being in the safe. and it is the biggest diameter gun i have so i can shoot the biggest bullets and hit the hardest with that gun.

They will all kill elk.. But I bet some will shoot alot better than others. I wold start with the 180 NP then play with the load.

Jason

:blink:

Casey,

You might want ot consider this....

In comparing foot-lbs of energy between a 7mm mag with a 160 gr bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2950 fps and a 30-06 shooting a 180 grainer with a MV of 2700 fps, here's the data i got.

Muzzle energy '06: 2913 ft lbs 7mag: 3165 ft lbs

at 100 yds '06: 2506 ft lbs 7mag: 2759 ft lbs

at 200 '06: 2321 ft lbs 7mag: 2397 ftl bs

at 300 '06: 2140 ft lbs 7mag: 2073 ft lbs

at 400 '06: 1972 ft lbs 7mag: 1784 ft lbs

Basically there isn't much difference in "knock-down" power between the two until you get out past 400 yards. Now this is assuming you can get 2700 fps put of a 180 grainer in an '06 and 2950 fps out of a 7mm rem mag. In fact, at closer ranges, the 7 mag will hit "harder".

As we all know, bullet placement will trump foot lbs of energy all day long.

I guess I'm saying, don't passs on the 7 mag if its a shooter. I'm sure your 270 whizzum with 150 grain slugs will compare with these two provided you can get them in the 3000+ fps range.

This probably isn't that helpful as you are trying to narrow down your choices (here I am encouraging you to add to your selection!)

good luck with your decision and have fun shooting!

Guest Ernesto C

Wow!! There is a lot of difference on "knock down power" at 400 yards.....188 pounds or................did you did a mistake while typing?

Ernesto C

No typo.... I just punched in the values on the point blank ballistics calculator.....

I am, in no way, an expert on this. I guess it supports the argument for heavier bullets meaning more retained energy downrange.

However, like Lance, I prefer flatter tragectories. Which is why I settled on 140 grain nosler partitions when the 7mm mag was my go to (only) rifle.