jcarter

WTB wall tent

In the market for a good used tent, Have been looking at canvas wall tents and other tents like the cabelas alaknak tent . My price range is 500-1000 dollars. Also any input on the Cabelas tent would be appreciated Thanks

My best buddy just bought an alaknak and its amazing! He found one in the bargain shack at 70% off. It was complete except a couple stakes (no biggie)... Keep an eye out in there!

My best buddy just bought an alaknak and its amazing! He found one in the bargain shack at 70% off. It was complete except a couple stakes (no biggie)... Keep an eye out in there!

If only I lived closer lol

I have the 12x20 alnak from Cabela's. I have used it for 7 or so years. I have used it in CO. up at 11,500 feet, AZ on the kaibab late hunts the past 3 years, early bull hunts in monsoon weather etc...... I love the tent, you can actually put it up by yourself if need be (hard but do-able). It is very roomy. I have liked the tent. Allen...........

+1 for the Alaknak!

I have a 12x12. Love it. Relatively light and easy to pack/haul. SUPER easy to set-up and take down (That is now my kid's job when we camp..... ;) ).

The biggest complaint that I've seen/heard on the Alaknak is that it doesn' t breathe like canvas. I experience condensation on cold nights/mornings. FYI......

S.

:)

The Bighorn from Cabela's is nice too, you aren't dodging the center pole and one person can set it up. Fits 2 hunters and the kitchen no problem. The latest version offers a better spark protector than mine.

Love my Alaknak 12x12. Handles any kind of weather. Mostly use a propane heater but I realy like the wood stove, when it's cold enough. The center pole is no big deal. Maybe can get your wife/girl friend to pole dance for ya. :P

Love my Alaknak 12x12. Handles any kind of weather. Mostly use a propane heater but I realy like the wood stove, when it's cold enough. The center pole is no big deal. Maybe can get your wife/girl friend to pole dance for ya. :P

Pole dance???? Now THAT is funny!!!! :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness though, I've never really had a problem with the center pole either. Makes for a nice high ceiling in the tent.

S.

:)

PS: Keep your daughters off the pole, guys!!! ;)

We used the alaknak tents for work i DONT like them both tents leaked and the wind took one down this was in young canvas tents are the way to go (davis tent and awning) i have one i have used for the last 12 years very dependable used it on late elk hunts and dec whitetail hunts fishing trips and no problems its a davis 12x14. Curtis

Thanx for the info guys , keep it comin! I'm going tomorow to look at the Cabelas tent, and Saterday I'm looking at a members wall tent. I'll keep you posted :)

We used the alaknak tents for work i DONT like them both tents leaked and the wind took one down this was in young canvas tents are the way to go (davis tent and awning) i have one i have used for the last 12 years very dependable used it on late elk hunts and dec whitetail hunts fishing trips and no problems its a davis 12x14. Curtis

Not sure what the problem was with your tents/setup. I have had my Alaknak in high wind and torential downpoors in the White Mnts. No leaks at all. I actually bought mine at the original Cabelas in Sidney Nebraska, in 2005. They had all the tents set up outside. The tent guy said when they get their regular 60+ mph winds, The Alaknak is one of the only ones left standing. Most of the others end up in the pond.

The one downside to this tent is all the stake pounding....it has around 24 stakes to pound. But I guess that's what holds it up in the wind.

The advantage of these Cabelas Outfitter Series tents is they are much lighter than canvas, and don't mildew. My sinuses don't handle that smell.

• Like 1

I have a couple wall tents, They are hard to beat. I got one from www.walltentshop.com a few years ago and made my own frame. There is alot of flexibility when building your own frame. I put a few pictures on here to look at, maybe too many. Hope this helps

post-2457-0-59771200-1329887304_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-48674000-1329887324_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-47821800-1329888125_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-04115100-1329888143_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-33513900-1329888416_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-30658700-1329888434_thumb.jpg

I also have a 12x12 Outback Lodge, same design as Alaknak but lighter material. It has taken several high wind events and twice been the only tent left standing. Has a lot of stakes but worth it for the sturdiness. It also makes a good 2 man camp and holds the kitchen, I heat it with propane.