Sign in to follow this  
elkhunter

2012 pig

I felt I wouldnt have enough time for archery javelina this year so I picked up a rifle tag instead. I didn't hunt opening day due to work/coaching and planned to hunt only sat and sunday.

Friday night I went to bed pukin and had diarreah, first time i've ever had the flu. Didnt get any sleep that night but got my pukin body out hunting.

Sat we located the first herd, they bedded down and we snuck into 50 yards (was using an open sight .308 rifle) and for no reason the pigs took off running, we werent moving and the wind was perfect, tough luck. Later on Sat we located another herd and they were in some crazy thick ocotillo, we lost them but kept moving in the direction of their digs/tracks. One pig jumped and ran bout 50 yards, we tried to locate the rest of the herd and once we spotted them it was too thick to shoot and pigs were moving too much, eventually ran away. Again, we were very quiet and the wind was perfect, no idea what pushed em.

We think that archery season is super duper easy now, these pigs get very spooky by the time of the rifle hunt.

If I still felt bad on Sunday, we were not going to hunt. But Sunday morning I woke up feeling great so pops and i headed out. We went out to the first spot, nothing. Went to locate the third herd we know about and sure enough there they were in the oaks. This time Dad brought his 300wsm that he won from the ADA banquet (paid $20 for a ticket and won a $1050 rifle!). Because of his sweet little rifle, there was no stalking needed and I shot right where I was, 200 yards and pig went down.

Overall it was weird compared to the archery hunt. During the archery hunt the pig herds are 9-13 pigs large, during the rifle hunt they are in groups of 3's or 4's. I guess pressure does get to them. Ontop of that we saw about 15 hunters whereas we never see a soul during the archery hunt!

This marks for my 11th pig! Here to a good year.

PICT0061.jpg

PICT0067.jpg

Nice job! 20 bucks for a nice rifle, even better!!!

Sweet! I have killed pigs each of the last 2 years during archery but want to try rifle next year. Still hesitant because of so many other hunters rifle hunting!

You're on a roll with 11 pigs under your belt. Congratulations and I'm glad you were able to overcome your sickness to get the job done. Hunting with your Dad is the best way to make memories that will last a lifetime. Thanks for sharing with us and great picture of you and pops. :)

TJ