Sign in to follow this  
thegunsmith2506

UNIT 32 FAMILY HUNT

I usually hunt Javalina during the archery hunt, but this year I just couldn't get the time to go. I really had no intention of

hunting during the rifle hunt, but my wife talked me into it. My wife and my sister decided that we should all get leftover tags.

Next thing I knew, my sister was calling from G&F needing my sportsman ID. All said and done we had 5 tags to fill. Me, my wife, my

sister, my sister's boyfriend, and my dad. I was shocked when I found out my dad had bought a tag. I guess his only daughter was

pretty persuasive.My dad hasn't hunted big game in the last 15 years. When I was growing up he hunted with my Grandpa every year, but

he lost interest after my Grandpa died. I continued to hunt, and he tagged along on a couple of hunts, but never seemed into it. As

the hunt approached I found myself more and more excited. I knew this was going to be an awesome hunt no matter how it turned out.

Thursday night found the wife and I headed to Tucson. We arrived late and hit the hay for a few hours before we had to leave. I woke

up at 5am, loaded the truck, and went to pick up my dad. I don't think his old Winchester had been out of the case in 10 years. He

dusted it off and checked the bore. I brought him a box of Barnes 130gr Triple Shocks for the old .270. We filled the ice chest and

headed over to pick up the rest of the crew. Five of us piled into the truck and started the hour long drive to our hunting grounds.

Sun up found us glassing the hills where I grew up in Unit 32. We saw a few deer and a coyote before the wind got really bad. The 2

mile hike had us all ready for an early lunch, so we headed for the truck. We found a spot out of the wind and enjoyed a great lunch

the girls had prepared the night before. A plan was made to move to an area we had killed pigs several years back. It was a dusty,

hour long drive. We spent that afternoon and evening glassing, but never saw a pig.

Day 2 we were a little slow getting started. Then we took a wrong turn trying to go in the back way. We finally got on the right road

and headed toward our spot. It was just light enough to see, and I spotted a bunch of pigs on the edge of a big hay field. It was my

sisters first hunt so we decided to try and make a stock for her. Just a few feet into the stock, we realized

there were 2 other hunters already stocking the pigs. We backed out and watched the show, They made a shot, but missed, and the 25

pigs high tailed it out of the field. We were back in the truck and headed for our spot by 7am.

I pulled the truck off the trail and started to glass a ridge about 250yds away. In less than a minute I had 3 pigs picked out. They

were moving away from us, and seemed to be moving fast. I told everyone to head out after the pigs and I would pack up and lock the

truck. Jason and the girls headed up the ridge opposite the herd, and my dad took off down the bottom of the canyon. My dad has the

uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time. I thought he was nuts heading down the canyon, but off he went. I packed the truck, and headed out after Jason and the girls. I was only 200yds from the truck and I spotted a lone pig trotting up the other side of the canyon. I sat down and got the scope on him. I looked over my shoulder to see the girls aiming at the same pig from further up

the ridge. I passed on the shot in hopes they would take it. When I caught up to them they had lost the herd in the thick brush. We

now had a big nasty canyon between us and a herd of fast moving pigs. It was decided that the girls would stay and Jason and I would

go after the herd. The chase was on! We bailed of the side of the canyon and were huffing and puffing by the time we got up the other

side. I could hear the pigs in front of us, but it was too thick to get a shot. The wind was perfect, so we just took our time and

eased in closer. It seemed like an hour, but was probably less than 10min, when I finally spotted them. Two pigs stepped into a

clearing about 100yds from us. I pointed them out to Jason and we both got ready to shoot. When the bigger of the two turned

broadside, I touched the trigger on the .243 Ackley, and sent an 80gr Barnes through both shoulders. Pig Down! A half second later

Jason's .243 barked, but he hit some brush and missed. I instantly got on the Primos "Raspy Coaxer" and started screaming. All heck

broke loose! We had pigs running everywhere! Several pigs came within 20yds of us, but Jason was focused on a few that were farther

out. By the time I got one of the closer ones pointed out, it was 20ft away and closing fast. We had to take a few steps back before

Jason could finally get a clear shot. At less than 5ft! He hit a little far back and the pig took off down the hill. He took off

after it. Next thing I know, 3 shots ring out down the ridge from us. Like I said before, my dad has an uncanny ability to be in the

right place at the right time. When he heard me shoot he crossed the canyon and waited for the pigs on a fence line. Sure enough they

came right to him, and he hit all 3 shots. Not bad for a guy that hasn't shot a rifle in 15 years. I hiked over to my dad and helped

him drag his pig over to where mine was. We found Jason, and after a quick follow up with the XD his pig was down. After a few pics

we all headed down the canyon with a pig in tow. By 11am we were headed toward Tucson with an ice chest full of boned out Javalina.

My dad had the biggest at 50lbs. We didn't weigh the other 2, but they were a lot smaller. All 3 were boars. We hunted Sunday morning

to try and get the girls on a herd, but didn't have any luck. There is nothing better than spending time in God's creation with

family. This is a hunt I will remember forever. Sorry for the long read. Here are a few pics.

DSC00612-Copy.jpg

DSC00614.jpg

DSC00613.jpg

Your dad has a perfect hat, and a dead pig infront of him :D

My XD was at the ready this weekend while trailing my buddies boar, but he was already dead.

Good job on layin the piggies down.

Awesome memories made and time well spent! Good job getting the family out and about together.... Congrats on the pigs.