Sign in to follow this  
Don Martin

Heck of a year in Unit 18B!

Just had to share some good fortune with the folks that watch the javelina boards.

This year in Unit 18B we had a total of 10 tags for all those associated with us.

Before the season ended, we filled nine of those tags, including a couple of real whoppers for our area in eastern Mohave County.

It ended up we got four pigs with muzzleloaders, four pigs with bolt action handguns, and 1 pig with a Ruger revolver. We always try and target boars in the herds, and on this hunt we got 6 ought of 9.

Then on the rifle hunt in the same unit, we filled three out of four tags!

And what was strange is that that out of all of those, we only hit two herds with two pigs each, and each of htose herds had 10 or more pigs in them.

Normally we have a little in house big pig contest, but this year we didn't and wouldn't you know it, I got the heaviest pig out of our camp. My boar checked in on the scale 43.56 lbs. The second largest pig taken was by my client from Bullhead City, and his boar checked in right at 40 lbs.

I know you guys get bigger pigs in other areas, but I've been kinda keeping tabs over the years of the pigs taken in our camp and the average adult boar is about 33 lbs, while the average sow is just a tad heavier, at 33.50 lbs.

post-3669-0-63025600-1330837506_thumb.jpg

post-3669-0-54042200-1330837533_thumb.jpg

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Sounds like you guys did pretty well. Congratulations on all the success. :)

TJ

Its nice too see that someone on here has a honest scale for weighing pigs ;). Congrats and good job on the pigs!