Elkhunter1

Locked gate on state trust land

Today on my way home from working in Sierra Vista I decided to stop and look around one of my hunting spots, and to check a windmill. I found the gate locked with two locks, one with EPNG stamped on it and the other with KN on it. I believe they stand for El Paso Natural Gas and Kinder Morgan. My complaint is what law is on the books that allows any person or entity to lock access to state trust land?

post-5396-0-03782100-1330997675_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-46072000-1330997703_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-98015500-1330997726_thumb.jpg

I called the number on the sign and left a message, hopefully I will hear back tomorrow.

I talked to Matt Walton the other day and he has come up with a plan to take to State Land Dept. that we believe will have an answer for every contingency and possible excuse they might come up with. We should also have the backing from ADOT and DPS as fare as the dangers from keeping the gate locked. I will post our victory when it comes.

Take your cordless grinder back and cut the friggin chain... NO ONE can lock you out of state trust land. I carry my cordless grinder everywhere with me just for this occasion...

Sometimes ranchers pull this crap too..Just cut it off and go in and out. If theres a new lock, keep cutting the chain till they get the hint...

Idiots..

Ron

Take your cordless grinder back and cut the friggin chain... NO ONE can lock you out of state trust land. I carry my cordless grinder everywhere with me just for this occasion...

Sometimes ranchers pull this crap too..Just cut it off and go in and out. If theres a new lock, keep cutting the chain till they get the hint...

Idiots..

Ron

I would really like it if the state actually did their job and went after these "Idiots" like they should!

They did the same thing on the north side of the white tanks a few years ago. I even saw a mcso officer put a lock on one of the gates that said " state trust land"

I even saw a mcso officer put a lock on one of the gates that said " state trust land"

I honestly don't care who you are, if you can't abide by the laws of this great state you belong in jail. I don't want to resort to cutting locks off of posted gates that WE law abiding hunters have paid to gain access to, but if that is what it takes to get into the area I want to hunt in than that's what I will do!

Call the state land dept and let them know about it. I would be curious as to what their response is.

http://www.land.state.az.us/

Amanda: I eagerly await their call tomorrow, I left a message on the number on the sign.

all you need is a hunting license to be on state trust land. The govoners signature on the the license is your pass. Cut the locks and hunt as you wish.

"I honestly don't care who you are, if you can't abide by the laws of this great state you belong in jail. I don't want to resort to cutting locks off of posted gates that WE law abiding hunters have paid to gain access to, but if that is what it takes to get into the area I want to hunt in than that's what I will do! "

I'm not a lawyer, and I hope I'm wrong, but I believe an Arizona law prevents ordinary citizens from destroying chains and locks that belong to someone else, even if those locks and chains illegally deny your access to State Land Department Land.

As for which agency is responsible for access to state land, it used to be the Game and Fish Department after then-Attorney General Bruce Babbitt ruled AZGFD was the "lead" agency on such issues. It may have changed all these years since, but I don't think so. I do know that only the Game and Fish Commission has the authority to close state lands to licensed hunters and anglers.

I suggest you go on record by sending registered letters to the directors of the State Land and Game and Fish departments, politely requesting that those locks be removed.

Bill Quimby

all you need is a hunting license to be on state trust land. The govoners signature on the the license is your pass. Cut the locks and hunt as you wish.

Yes I realize that is my pass, I just want to go about this with the law on my side. I can see El Paso Natural Gas and Kinder Morgan trying to push criminal damage charges for cutting the locks off. i don't need the hassle to interfere with the enjoyment of the outdoors and the thrill of the chase.

"I honestly don't care who you are, if you can't abide by the laws of this great state you belong in jail. I don't want to resort to cutting locks off of posted gates that WE law abiding hunters have paid to gain access to, but if that is what it takes to get into the area I want to hunt in than that's what I will do! "

I'm not a lawyer, and I hope I'm wrong, but I believe an Arizona law prevents ordinary citizens from destroying chains and locks that belong to someone else, even if those locks and chains illegally deny your access to State Land Department Land.

As for which agency is responsible for access to state land, it used to be the Game and Fish Department after then-Attorney General Bruce Babbitt ruled AZGFD was the "lead" agency on such issues. It may have changed all these years since, but I don't think so. I do know that only the Game and Fish Commission has the authority to close state lands to licensed hunters and anglers.

I suggest you go on record by sending registered letters to the directors of the State Land and Game and Fish departments, politely requesting that those locks be removed.

Bill Quimby

Thats the same thing I heard from a game warden a few years back. He also stated that once a gate has been locked for 2 years ? it then can be locked up for good according to that law. If that makes sense

many moon ago i learned about taking a length of chain with a padlock or two on it and wrapping it around a gate. stops most all city folk but all you gotta do is unwrap it.(two different size chains here is the giveaway!)

also inquiring minds want to know who pissed on the state trust land sign!?

lee

Insanity runs it the family-it practically gallups...

many moon ago i learned about taking a length of chain with a padlock or two on it and wrapping it around a gate. stops most all city folk but all you gotta do is unwrap it.(two different size chains here is the giveaway!)

also inquiring minds want to know who pissed on the state trust land sign!?

lee

Insanity runs it the family-it practically gallups...

One of the locks is actually on the gate, Kinder Morgan is the one with the chain. I just had to go, i didn't get the sign. Should I put a parental advisory on the post? lol

Well buddy that works on U of A farm in red rock said they got in trouble for locking a gate to state trust land...."Game and Fish came unglued" What my buddy said.

Well buddy that works on U of A farm in red rock said they got in trouble for locking a gate to state trust land...."Game and Fish came unglued" What my buddy said.

I guess I'll call them if the state land dept. doesn't call me by noon tomorrow, Thanks!