Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Private sale of a Handgun

I have a question, I have a hand gun for sale and someone that is 18 yrs old wants to purchase it. Is this legal to sale a hand gun to someone that is not 21 yrs of age in a private deal? I have found many different opinions on the internet. I am wondering if anyone had any experience with this? Thanks for any info.

As I understand it no it is not legal, they have to be 21.

My daughter was in the Explorers, considered growing up to be a cop, cops have to be 21 so they can LEGALLY carry a handgun. It can be purchased as a gift and not be considered a straw buy.

I understand it to be 18yo to buy a long gun and 21yo to buy a handgun. If there is any doubt or confusion I err on the side of me not going to jail. Just sayin.

Very interesting I had no idea that in a private sale face to face an 18 year old could buy a hand gun. I was given one when I was 15 that was a lot of years ago.

Judgment call, but go with your gut. Only you know how you feel about it. It sounds like you have some reservations about this deal, so think it through for yourself. Are the reservations about selling to an 18 year old or to this particular 18 year old?

If you sell it, make sure you detail the sale and document the gun very well. Keep those documents in your safe for potential protection should something go wrong later with the gun or the person you sold it to.

I bought my first handgun (P89 Ruger) for $200.00 from a private seller at age 18. I ended selling it a few months later. Its your judgement as others said to wether or not you want to make the sell.

I bought my first handgun (P89 Ruger) for $200.00 from a private seller at age 18. I ended selling it a few months later. Its your judgement as others said to wether or not you want to make the sell.

Buying a Ruger p89 shows poor judgment, right there is why 18yo shouldnt buy handguns. Sorry but I couldn't resist. ;)

Buying a Ruger p89 shows poor judgment, right there is why 18yo shouldnt buy handguns. Sorry but I couldn't resist. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Your exactly right!!!

It sounds like you have some reservations about this deal, so think it through for yourself. Are the reservations about selling to an 18 year old or to this particular 18 year old?

I dont know who this person is. I think I would feel better if I knew the person. I'm not saying he's not responsible, I just dont want my gun falling into the wrong hands even with all the documentation that I sold the gun.

Almost, thanks for the link.