Sign in to follow this  
308Nut

Initial thoughts on the 6.5x284

Well I finally got the 308 re-barreled to the 6.5x284. All I can say is what a he!! of a time I have had breaking in this barrel. I am not sure if Dan lapped this bore or not but after 13 break in loads, it copper fouled the same as shot #1. Shot #1 fould like he!!. Using the shoot one and clean one method was pretty boring. I gave up after 13 rounds. I have about 50 through the barrel at this point and still fouls like he!!. This may be my last Lilja barrel thats for sure.

I have tested a few powders. H4831SC, H4350, H1000, RETUMBO and RL17. RETUMBO offers very high load densities and rediculous velocities. To the tune of over 3100 FPS in a 27" barrel with well over 100% load density. It seems like a stout but reasonable load. .4 MOA was achievable around 3000 FPS. RL17 offered absolutely absurd velocities. Over 3100 FPS with room for more. That said, I have no intentions of seeing how far I can push this. .3 MOA was achieved at 3000+ FPS. H4350 has shown real promise. Accuracy is better than average with VERY low extreme velocity spreads. Velocity could be better but it's not bad. Around 2890 with room for more. H4831SC showed some promise as well. The verdict is still out on H1000. All tests have been done with the 140 grain Hornady AMAX.

The complete rifle weighs 2.0 ounces less than the 308 and the felt recoil is NOTICEABLEY less than my 308. The again, I run anywhere from 168-210 grain pills in the 308. The 140 grain pills kick less than my 308 with the 150's. Alot less.

Between the accuracy potential I am seeing and the rediculously low recoil (especially for the ballistic performance) I think the 6.5x284 and I are going to get along very well. Dan Lilja an I may be at odds right now but the 6.5 and I are going to have a great relationship.

M

Glad to hear things are progressing Michael. I'm finally making some progress on mine too. Did you get my PM?

You mind sharing your load data with the 140 AMAX and h4831sc? How far off the lands are you? That's the next bullet/powder combo I'm testing. Just waiting for a less windy day.

Not familiar with the 6.5. Is it a simple re-barrel from 308 to 6.5x284? Would it be worth it to convert one of my 308's? Any benefits with that round in regards to hunting?

It is pretty simple. The bolt face is the same so the action could care less if it is a 308 or 6.5x284. I highly recommend converting the box magazine to a Wyatt extended. I can get my loads out to 2.990 and still feed smoothly. Many guys put this cartridge on a long action. I am not sure why. The reasoning has always been to maximize powder capacity. I find that rather funny. You can't get enough 4831, 4350, RL17 or H1000 to fill the case without being WAY over-pressured as it is. The exception might be if using RETUMBO to its max potential which is less than 60 grains. 59 grains fills the case right up to the neck/shoulder junction. That being said, I was able to compress this and still fit my magazine but barely. 55.5 is my sweet spot (for RETUMBO) so there is no need to worry about running 59 grains. 59 offered over 3100 but I have no interest in cooking my barrel. 2930-3000 is my end goal.

Benefits is a subjective term. I think for antelope, coues deer, wild sheep maybe large mule deer this will be a stellar round. Out to 500 yards, I dont see a huge benefit in any areas. The energy, wind drift values of the 308 are more than adequete for 500 yards. Past that and the 6.5 really starts to shine in the windage and energy department. There is also less recoil. The trade off is barrel life. A good 308 barrel could last 2-5 times what a 6.5x284 barrel will last. There comes a point where the energy values exceed that of the 308.

I still love my 308's and I would rather hunt moose with my 308 than my 6.5, even though the Sweeds have been doing it for quite some time.

Glad to hear things are progressing Michael. I'm finally making some progress on mine too. Did you get my PM?

You mind sharing your load data with the 140 AMAX and h4831sc? How far off the lands are you? That's the next bullet/powder combo I'm testing. Just waiting for a less windy day.

The best of 49.5, 50.0 and 50.5 was 50.5 grains of H4831SC with 210M primers. 140 AMAXs are about .020 off the lands (Velocity was 2840 with a 1.6" group at 300 yards. It seems like a mild load at this point so I will work up to 53.0 unless pressure signs show up.

The best load so far has been 46.5 grains of H4350. Better accuracy and MUCH lower extreme spreads. Each set of loads running H4831SC showed high ES. One group was as high a 45 FPS. The 3 groups of H4350 was stellar. The worst of it was 12 FPS. The best was 5 FPS. 210M primers. This was at 2891 FPS with room for more.I will work up to 49.0 or until pressure signs show up. I may try different primers with the 4831 to see if the ES comes down. 215M or BR2s.

I did not get a PM from you.

Sent it like a week ago. No biggie though. I was just updating you on some of the issues I was having with my gun that we spoke about before. Had some questions too but you've answered them in this post.

I've got rounds loaded with 48, 49 and 50 grains of 4831sc ready to test. I'm using 210M primers as well. I can't get to .020 from the lands with as much free bore as I have but I'm hoping the AMAX will like the jump.

Sent it like a week ago. No biggie though. I was just updating you on some of the issues I was having with my gun that we spoke about before. Had some questions too but you've answered them in this post.

I've got rounds loaded with 48, 49 and 50 grains of 4831sc ready to test. I'm using 210M primers as well. I can't get to .020 from the lands with as much free bore as I have but I'm hoping the AMAX will like the jump.

Not sure how finicky the 6.5 AMAXs are but the 308 AMAXs were pretty tollerent of jump. I could find sweet spots .040" out in a Hart 11x and well over .050" in a factory 11.25x. Hopefully, the 6.5s are as forgiving but I dont know yet.

I was given some 123g AMAX to test and they did well with the h4831sc. Not so good with RL17. Best load between 50, 51 and 52 was 51 grains. Shot .4375. OAL was 3.01. Unfortunately I didn't measure to the ogive so I don't know what the jump was. I was just hoping to get close to see if it was worth going with the 140's or getting a new barrel.

I'm really hoping the 140's work.

try running a br2 primer with the 4831 sc, i am getting an ES of about 8 fps.. i dont know if it will make a difference being as your in a totally different climate, but could be worth a try.

Finally got to test the 140's today. 48g shot .41. I believe 49g will be even better. I shot 2 through the same hole but pulled the third. Knew it as soon as the gun fired. I'll re test that one just to be sure.

Getting pretty excited to finally see more and more progress. I've had this gun way too long for it not to have a good load yet.

try running a br2 primer with the 4831 sc, i am getting an ES of about 8 fps.. i dont know if it will make a difference being as your in a totally different climate, but could be worth a try.

Thanks for the tip. I will definately be trying these next.

A quick update:

H4350 still seems like the go to powder for this rifle. The worst group of all that I have shot with H4350 was right at 1MOA at 300 yards. A few have been .65MOAish and a few have been .5MOAish with 1 group at 0.4MOA and another at 0.149MOA. This was a sweet 0.448" group at 300 yards! All I did was add one more 1/2 grain of powder to my best load. Every group shows very good ES's as well. I think 13 FPS is the worst I have seen and many are single digits. My target velocity has been 2923 FPS or higher. This would get me to 1000 pounds of energy at 1000 yards at coues, sheep and anteloppe altitudes which is what this rifle is for. My velocity is 2932 so I think I might stop development there. One more test to confirm it is a consistent load and I will stop.

It still copper fouls like he!! but Dan Lilja said if I get to 75 rounds and it is still giving me trouble to send it back so he can look at it and most likely re-lap it. He said that lately he has had to re-lap a few. A couple of weeks ago I talked with a guy down south that had the same problem. He sent it to Dan for re-lapping and he has n ot had a problem since. I am almost scared to send it in as it seems to be a very consistent shooting barrel. If it shoots I almost don't care about the fouling as it does clean up fairly easily. I am at 83 rounds.

Try the david tubb fire lapping system and see if that cleans it up any.