Sign in to follow this  
runningbird

why I have empathy for the ADA

I now have a much better understanding of why it has taken so long for the ADA to get their surveys out in the mail. The task of getting a survey together or in my case two letters and a few pages of pertinent data together should not be taken lightly. Like the ADA we chose to put our latest thoughts and opinions down on paper rather than an email. We were very lucky in that we only had about 120 letters to get out, where has the ADA needed to send out over 350.

Now I will say up front that I did not do this alone. In fact after much hard work and research I was able to find a qualified assistant. This assistant worked tirelessly, and best of all for almost free.

We started out early, even though my assistant wasn't to arrive till almost 7:00 a.m. First of all we needed to compose a couple letters. Lucky for me Christine is pretty good with words so this went well. We had our letters underway when our assistant showed up. That is when we hit our first snag, he insisted on breakfast before starting for the day. Well has it happened I was ready for him and breakfast went off with out a hitch.

Back at the letters things moved along well. I must say letter writing was not my assistants forte either. But once again with Christine's help we pressed on. Has we were making the finishing touches on the letters it was discovered that we needed more envelopes. Well no problem I'll just send our assistant to the store. Well come to find out he had never bothered to apply for his drivers license. OK, I guess I'll be making a trip to the store. Back from the store I find out that Christine does have to work for a living and she is heading out. Lucky for me I convinced her to help me with some of the envelope addressing before she took off. And after all I've got my helper and I'm sure together we can get this thing done.

It's now time to print off our letters and data sheets. This goes off without a problem so we head out to the UPS store to make some copies. I ask for 125 and a short time later I am out the door with my assistant and we are ready to get back to work.

Now we get back home and start folding and stuffing envelopes. Let me just stop here and say for the record, This could have been the main reason for the ADA delayed mailing. This is very dangerous work! At one point I was thinking I would rather be assembling broadheads. Paper cuts are NO laughing matter in fact my assistant flat out refused to stuff envelopes! He went so far has to throw them thru-out the room. But I must say I couldn't really blame him. This is hard relentless work. I think we were both getting a little cranky, At one point he even mentioned heading to the kitchen for a drink? It wasn't even noon yet. Well about half way thru the folding and stuffing it became apparent that we did not get the 125 copies that I had asked for. So back to the UPS store we went. Again my helper refused to stay behind and keep working. Well we made it home and has luck would have it my daughter showed up and was able to give me a hand. Thank goodness because my assistant was so worn out he was beginning to cry like a baby and ask for daddy?????

Finally about 1:30 we finished up and head out for the delivery. We chose to hand deliver our envelopes instead of mailing out like the ADA. So we jumped in the the truck for a drive down to the Capitol. By 3:00 pm our work was done for the day. We were both beat but more importantly we had a better understanding of what the ADA has been thru.

My assistant has asked that I make this post in hopes that he can be of some help to someone else. Like I said he does work cheap and doesn't eat too much.

Here is a photo of my assistant early in the process.

P1020363.jpg

A little later in the day, we were both thinking "boy this is a lot of work"

P1020370.jpg

At this point it was more like " Will this ever end?"

P1020371.jpg

And finally we are done and ready to hit the road!

P1020372.jpg

Now can we just relax in the grass for a little bit?

0316121406a.jpg

Disclaimer: not intended to make fun of anyone other than myself,,,,and my assistant.

• Like 2

I now have a much better understanding of why it has taken so long for the ADA to get their surveys out in the mail. The task of getting a survey together or in my case two letters and a few pages of pertinent data together should not be taken lightly. Like the ADA we chose to put our latest thoughts and opinions in down on paper rather than an email. We were very lucky in that we only had about 120 letters to get out, where has the ADA needed to send out over 350.

Now I will say up front that I did not do this alone. In fact after much hard work and research I was able to find a qualified assistant. This assistant worked tirelessly, and best of all for almost free.

We started out early, even though my assistant wasn't to arrive till almost 7:00 a.m. First of all we needed to compose a couple letters. Lucky for me Christine is pretty good with words so this went well. We had our letters underway when our assistant showed up. That is when we hit our first snag, he insisted on breakfast before starting for the day. Well has it happened I was ready for him and breakfast went off with out a hitch.

Back at the letters things moved along well. I must say letter writing was not my assistants forte either. But once again with Christine's help we pressed on. Has we were making the finishing touches on the letters it was discovered that we needed more envelopes. Well no problem I'll just send our assistant to the store. Well come to find out he had never bothered to apply for his drivers license. OK, I guess I'll be making a trip to the store. Back from the store I find out that Christine does have to work for a living and she is heading out. Lucky for me I convinced her to help me with some of the envelope addressing before she took off. And after all I've got my helper and I'm sure together we can get this thing done.

It's now time to print off our letters and data sheets. This goes off without a problem so we head out to the UPS store to make some copies. I ask for 125 and a short time later I am out the door with my assistant and we are ready to get back to work.

Now we get back home and start folding and stuffing envelopes. Let me just stop here and say for the record, This could have been the main reason for the ADA delayed mailing. This is very dangerous work! At one point I was thinking I would rather be assembling broadheads. Paper cuts are NO laughing matter in fact my assistant flat out refused to stuff envelopes! He went so far has to throw them though out the room. But I must say I couldn't really blame him. This his hard relentless work. I think we were both getting a little cranky, At one point he even mentioned heading to the kitchen for a drink? It wasn't even noon yet. Well about half way thru the folding and stuffing it became apparent that we did not get the 125 copies that I had asked for. So back to the UPS store we went. Again my helper refused to stay behind and keep working. Well we made it home and has luck would have it my daughter showed up and was able to give me a hand. Thank goodness because my assistant was so worn out he was beginning to cry like a baby and ask for daddy?????

Finally about 1:30 we finished up and head out for the delivery. We chose to had deliver our envelopes instead of mailing out like the ADA. So we jumped in the the truck for a drive down to the Capitol. By 3:00 pm our work was done for the day. We were both beat but more importantly we had a better understanding of what the ADA has been thru.

My assistant has asked that I make this post in hopes that he can be of some help to someone else. Like I said he does work cheap and doesn't eat too much.

Here is a photo of my assistant early in the process.

P1020363.jpg

A little later in the day, we were both thinking "boy this is a lot of work"

P1020370.jpg

At this point it was more like " Will this ever end?"

P1020371.jpg

And finally we are done and ready to hit the road!

P1020372.jpg

Now can we just relax in the grass for a little bit?

0316121406a.jpg

Disclaimer: not intended to make fun of anyone other than myself,,,,and my assistant.

you can bet your bottom dollar someone spent all day contacting everyone on the list.

wouldn't want them to go to a meeting and not having put your .02 cents in first.!

got to have your priorities - right -

I like your helper - you got off cheap this time - wait till its a whole pizza and wings - or no work!

still hear crying but for the truck keys.