Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

When a bull elk scrapes off his velvet...

Me and a buddy were talking about this and he said it is brown when the velvet comes off. I think it is white and then he rubs his antlers on things and makes them brown. Why are the tips and certain high points white and everything else is brown? What do you guys think?

I would say technically the antlers are white underneath. If you strip the velvet off you will have a perfectly white rack, however as mentioned there tends to be a little blood plus they are rubbing on stuff right away. Not sure if you have ever taken a white antler and randomly rub it on a plant or tree, they color up pretty quickly without too much effort. Thus you will never really see white antlers. In the Coues around Tucson here you can visually see this, early in the season you see racks that are very light in color right after they rub, and as the season goes on they get darker. Most color being added as the rut progresses and they are really rubbing and making scrapes. Obviously another factor for antler color is what that particular buck or bull like to rub on, or simply what is available to rub. Bulls in the forest tend to be really dark antlered, while bulls out in the juniper flats are a very light brown.

The bone under the velvet is bright white. At first though there is blood and that will make them appear red but that doesn't last long as the bulls are constantly rubbing. It then doesn't take long for them to add color with the constant rubbing. The final color of the antlers depends on the type of vegetation or trees that the bulls rub on and the color of the mud that he rolls in. For instance, a bull that primarily lives in open cedar country will have lighter colored horns, while a bull that lives in pine trees with burned areas close by will have very dark or black antlers.

The white tips are due to being polished from digging into dirt and trees, that polished part of the horn doesn't hold the color like the rest of the antler that is more porous. JIM>

Ha! Had I known Devin was posting at the same time I wouldn't have, I agree with him ;)

Just a quick funny to add to this post...

My friend and neighbor shot a 5x5 bull with his bow and decided to do a euro mount since he wasn't a big bull. His wife decided those antlers were dirty and needed some cleaning. She just knew he would be happy that she went to all that effort while he was at work. He came home from work to a scrubbed, stark white pair of antlers on the wall....

They are now in the garage hanging out with the other crap piled up in their garage!

Those darn dirty antlers!

My friend and neighbor shot a 5x5 bull with his bow and decided to do a euro mount since he wasn't a big bull. His wife decided those antlers were dirty and needed some cleaning. She just knew he would be happy that she went to all that effort while he was at work. He came home from work to a scrubbed, stark white pair of antlers on the wall....

They are now in the garage hanging out with the other crap piled up in their garage!

:blink: :blink:

Oh My! Bless her heart for well intentions but I can only imagine your neighbors face when he saw them!

LOL!! that's funny!