JLW

question

I just got a new sight and I guess I never payed any attention besides seeing my pins.

Question is should I be seeing the entire pin guard or not?

Now that I notice when my nose is on my string I cannot see the pin guard.

When I do see the bottom edge or top edge I know I'm not in there right.

Could be just a stupid question! I have never changed my peep size so I have no experience with different ones, bigger or smaller.

I didn't want to go smaller as I was afraid of having trouble in low light, and bigger I was afraid of inconsistencies on my part.

Thanks in advance for any tips or insight! Haha... insight

James

I am by no means a bow expert but I like to have mine set up to where when I look through the peep sight I can just see the edge of the sight guard. Basically lining up circle to circle. To me it ensures that I line the bow up the same way every time. Majority of sights are round these days so it seems to work good for me. I don't remember which size peep I have but I did drill it out a little. The next size bigger that I could find was way to huge.

ok thanks....

I didn't want to go bigger. I guess I can move my sight forward and that should do it.

I started to do that but I moved it back cause I couldn't get my pins where I wanted in the guard. I guess I just got impatient.

Curious how everyone else sets theirs up?????

I put a 1/4" peep on, I can see the entire sight ring, so I just have to center the circle in the circle and choose the right pin, plus can see a little later in the evening than with the smaller peeps.

Ring in the ring for me. 1/4" peep . It' s good in low light !

You are on the right track , Move your sight out so you can see the entire pin guard.. You'll accomplish more consistent alignment in your sight picture .

Ring in the ring for me. 1/4" peep . It' s good in low light !

You are on the right track , Move your sight out so you can see the entire pin guard.. You'll accomplish more consistent alignment in your sight picture .

Thanks!

No you dont. Just have to be able to line it up consistently for accuracy. Incidently that is a lot easier for some people when they line up ring to ring but by no means is it mandatory. My point of reference for shooting is my kisser button. I feel I can shoot continuosly accurate with that. I never take the time to line up the rings when I feel that button hit the corner of my mouth I know I'm lined up

There are soo many schools of thought on this it is unreal! The only real answer is what works for you. I work in the industry and through my experience the shooters who line up the peep with the ring on the sight generally dont shoot as well at distance as the shooters who dont. The reasoning behind this is that your brain automatically tries to center anything inside of a circle. So if your trying to line up the ring and your brain is trying to center the pin, your fighting your bodies natural inclinations. Also when you start stretching the ranges out a ways your anchor naturally moves downward slightly hence changing your sight picture. I always just stare at the pin and forget about everything else. But thats just my two cents!

There are soo many schools of thought on this it is unreal! The only real answer is what works for you. I work in the industry and through my experience the shooters who line up the peep with the ring on the sight generally dont shoot as well at distance as the shooters who dont. The reasoning behind this is that your brain automatically tries to center anything inside of a circle. So if your trying to line up the ring and your brain is trying to center the pin, your fighting your bodies natural inclinations. Also when you start stretching the ranges out a ways your anchor naturally moves downward slightly hence changing your sight picture. I always just stare at the pin and forget about everything else. But thats just my two cents!

I ended up not moving it out because I'm not sure about my quiver... I may just go without, not sure yet. convenient and inconvenient. lol!

I started noticing the edge of the ring at 50-60yds so that had me thinking about it.

I just need to shoot some more to get used to it.

Thanks for the opinions!

James

I agree the real answer is what works for you. Center your pins or center the ring ether way one needs centered. But not sure I agree that the shooters that line up the peep with the ring do not shoot as well at longer distance. Centering the ring in the peep is just another way to be sure you have and keep your proper anchor point. Your anchor point should not change at longer distance it should be the same at 20 as it is at 100 yards imo. If set up right and your draw length, peep height are right and anchor is the same the sight ring should line up with the peep and you should be able to just focus on the pins. Target archers have used round housings for years and is the reason hunting sights have changed.

I agree with Bownut.

I specifically practice at long ranges with the ring in the ring system. It helps me keep a constant anchor with my head in the same position each time. If I'm off in form the rings will not center up properly.

As stated , that is the reason that most sight manufactures went to the round pin guards. Spot Hogg built their sighting concept around the ring in the ring concept . Others followed their lead.

That's not to say that an archer can't be very accurate centering the pin in the peep sight. When you do that your form and eye position will change slightly at each pin position.

I like to keep the same form and sight picture using the ring in the ring and then put the proper yardage pin on

The spot by pivoting at the waist.

I have taken out a ground squirrel at 113 yards and a cottontail at 120 . I practice a lot and those shots definitely included some BS luck .

Practicing at ultra long ranges makes the western hunting ranges at 30 to 70 yards a lot easier for me .

Do what works for you best , but whatever that Is , do it a lot !!!!!

I agree the real answer is what works for you. Center your pins or center the ring ether way one needs centered. But not sure I agree that the shooters that line up the peep with the ring do not shoot as well at longer distance. Centering the ring in the peep is just another way to be sure you have and keep your proper anchor point. Your anchor point should not change at longer distance it should be the same at 20 as it is at 100 yards imo. If set up right and your draw length, peep height are right and anchor is the same the sight ring should line up with the peep and you should be able to just focus on the pins. Target archers have used round housings for years and is the reason hunting sights have changed.

I am right on board with ya bownut. That is why I said "generally". I have been lucky enough to work with a lot of shooters over the years and learn some really interesting things. The long range anchor that i was talking about is a tiny movement! At long range like that your are aiming 10-15 feet over your target. With your bow being that elevated its going to move somewhat unless your a robot. We all do it but most of us do without realizing. Definately wasnt trying to say that people who use the ring in ring method cant shoot!