Sign in to follow this  
jefftrucker12

peaks hunt unit 7

anyone else put in for one of the early rifle bull tags? How good would you consider this hunt (size and qty of bulls)? will the bulls still be active during the later oct 12 hunt?

I put in for the first hunt 1st choice and the second hunt for my 2nd choice. Hoping to draw it with my 7 bonus points since it was put in the limited opp section of the regs.

• Like 1

Your not alone, I know of atleaat 9 people who put in for the same hunt including me with healthy bonus points. If you know the unit you will have no problem

I put 3 of my family members in for the third one (oct 12 i think) 1st choice and then 7e late bull rifle second. was thinking most people would do 1st and 2nd on the early peaks bull hunts and so the latter one would have better draw %. i guess we will see soon

6 in our family thru in for all of these hunts, some on the late and other early, trying to get 3 hunts back to back, also have heard from about 12 other guys they also put in for the hunt so I guess Game and Fish will see how many threw in and will make it a regular hunt next year...I am thinking it will be a tough draw

My predictions, the way they currently have the hunts and tag allocation for this hunt, it won't exist for 2013. It's WAY too many tags and bulls are gonna drop like flies. Their objective will be met this year and although it might still be offered in the years following, just drastically changed. IMO.

From what I was told is the forrest service wants the elk whipped out on the peaks because the elk are doing something to one of the tree's up there. Look at the 3 back to back cow hunts and 3 back to back early bull hunts on top of the regular 7E hunts.

They feel that the elk are hurting the Aspen stands up there. In the past they have just been allocating more tags for the general seasons to "fix" the problem but most of the people have been going down low and crushing the herds there because it's easier access. These hunts are forcing people to decrease the population in the area of interest. Was hoping a post like this didn't hit the forums...making me feel like my chances are dwindling... :rolleyes:

We almost made it to the draw w/o a thread. Not that it would have made a difference. I do expect that they will harvest a BUNCH of elk on these hunts. I predict aggregate draw rates in the 10% range.

So who ended up drawing one of these tags? I will be really interested to hear how these ones go.

We will have 5 antlerless tags in our camp for the first hunt. I dont know anyone with the bull tags.