arn243

Attractant

When I was hunting the White Mnt. for bears... We would use Anise and Peanut Butter and Liquid smoke... I sure did bring the bears in.

I think there are a lot of options peanut butter, vanilla, molasses, and anise all have a really strong scent.

I never thought about the liquid smoke, but have thought of bacon but did not want to be baiting. I would think a rotten egg or one on a sterno would travel a long way also but never tried it same thing with fish oil out of a tuna or sardine can. The other thing I think of after every Thanksgiving is the peanut oil we use to deep fry a bird. Gotta think the varmints would be all over that stuff brushed on a tree or rock.

I have some cameras in 24a and put out some of the turkey we didn't eat from christmas as well as the stuffing just to see what would hit it and believe it or not a stupid turkey would not leave it alone....it was almost barbaric haha

I cant say it actually ate it....appears that it didnt but I got probably 30 pics of a big tom rummaging through it and kicking it around...it was the weirdest thing

I have some cameras in 24a and put out some of the turkey we didn't eat from christmas as well as the stuffing just to see what would hit it and believe it or not a stupid turkey would not leave it alone....it was almost barbaric haha

I cant say it actually ate it....appears that it didnt but I got probably 30 pics of a big tom rummaging through it and kicking it around...it was the weirdest thing

Tease......haha where are the pics? Sound really weird

I don't have any :( I know....classic story right? My wife does photography and actually uses some of my sim cards....she ended up formatting the one I store my pics on and erased all the pictures I kept on it. I thought by keeping all my favorate pics on one card away from the computer would keep them safe....I was wrong.

I believe it, that kind of stuff happens at my house on a weekly basis... 4 females :blink: ... enough said!

With all the talk of attractants on this thread and the mention of "bears" along with it, I caution everyone to do things carefully as G&F regulations prohibit the use of any substance to attract bears. So if you put oils, scents, anise, whatever out for deer or elk, be sure not to hunt bear over it if they end up coming into the attractant, as that would be a clear mistake. It seems like its been about 20 years since we could legally use attractants for bear on public lands in Arizona, but too many people left trash behind at their bait sites and ruined the priviledge of hunting bear over bait for all of us.

Yep, You need to have all that stuff out of there a few weeks before if you are going to hunt bear in the area. I cant remember the regs but thought it was 2-3 weeks range. I have never had a bear on camera so I don't really have this problem, wish I did I would love to get some bear pics!

I never even realized you could use an attractant in the past.

I just went and read R12-4-303 and as it is written you can't use anything to attract bears. It looks like they were trying to ban minerals and salt licks as well even for deer at one point. So it looks like kidso is correct G&F could ticket you even for a lick. I have never hunted bear but it looks like a great experience.

Yes they can. They are more likely to ticket someone for salt vs a mineral lick though. Just all depends. I typed up a cross reference a few months ago if you want the specifics under coues deer hunting in AZ entitled "laws regarding baiting". Not that I am a know it all just better when we are educated on what we can and cannot do

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32920

Good info thanks for the link.

• Like 1