arn243

Attractant

I have made 3 different set ups and have yet to find a decent attractant that will stop an animal like a deer in the mountains.

I have used apples and a fox ate them the first night, Deer cocane (Mineral Lick) but no real effect. Mollasses and nothing found it.

All of my pictures have been drive by's but Im not stopping the animals like I thought?

post-4028-0-44252300-1332692633_thumb.jpg

I have made 3 different set ups and have yet to find a decent attractant that will stop an animal like a deer in the mountains.

I have used apples and a fox ate them the first night, Deer cocane (Mineral Lick) but no real effect. Mollasses and nothing found it.

All of my pictures have been drive by's but Im not stopping the animals like I thought?

Salt has always worked for me,I tried alot of fancy stuff before but it didnt work any better for the money.(IMO) Any feed store has 5 lb. block's and they work but elk and/or cattle if they are in the area will destroy them in a week. What works best for me is water softener salt. A 40 lb. bag is usually less than $5. If you find a dirt patch dump half the bag out and and churn it up in the dirt. If you have any you can spare pour some water on it. I tried it first about 2 years ago and it worked great. I had deer, elk,bear and a bobcat tearing it up.It also lasts longer because it gets into the ground pretty well and they will stand there eating the dirt until there is a hole in the ground.Also helps avoid people seeing your set-up. A salt block can be seen from a long ways out. It may take a week for them to find it but once they do the results have been good for me.It usually wont take that long though.

• Like 1

I have tried a few different attractants with no effect. Always wanted to give the cmeer deer attractant powder a try but didnt want to pay the price for such a small amount of attractant. Finally broke down and bought some and it actually worked out really well got some good pics of deer feeding on it. Still i havnt bought some sense but it did work. Got a few natural salt licks that i Watch And dont got to pay money to get them to stop which is nice

I have been using vanilla extract for years now and it will stop just about everything. Plus the deer will come to investigate the smell. You can sometimes find the huge bottles at the discount stores. David

Deer Cane Black Magic (I think is what it's called)works really well. The regular deer cane is worthless. You don't need water either. Just clear out a spot and spread it out.

For deer I use custom blended sugar blocks I make myself. The deer love them, I had a group of bucks stand and fight over it and lick it for over 4 hours. Pigs, squirrels, coatis and ringtails are the other animals Ive gotten on my trail cams coming into my sugar blocks. Heres's some pics.

SUNP0186.jpg

SUNP0242.jpg

SUNP0277.jpg

SUNP2264.jpg

Here's a nice non-typical buck coming into my sugar block.

PICT0056.jpg

Another neat buck licking he sugar block.

PICT0901.jpg

For deer I use custom blended sugar blocks I make myself. The deer love them, I had a group of bucks stand and fight over it and lick it for over 4 hours. Pigs, squirrels, coatis and ringtails are the other animals Ive gotten on my trail cams coming into my sugar blocks.

Do you mind sharing your recipe? Thanks.

Couesbuckhunter - how do you make the licks yourself? I'm curious.

i think certain spots work better than others. But heard salt works pretty good.

I have been using vanilla extract for years now and it will stop just about everything. Plus the deer will come to investigate the smell. You can sometimes find the huge bottles at the discount stores. David

Interesting! Never heard of that. But I have been making my own vanilla extract for baking. It's cheaper than regular store bought, so you might want to consider it. buy a bottle of vodka and buy some whole vanilla beans (health food store should carry it). Split the beans open lengthwise and put them in the vodka. Just let it soak for 2-3 months. Turns out really good and will last a really long time for baking purposes (not sure how much you use on your deer spots).

http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-vanilla-extract/

I wonder if the sugar blocks will cause the deer's teeth to rot like it does for humans? Deer can't really brush their teeth, and they didn't evolve to eat a lot of sugar. I dont' know how much of a concern this should be, but just a thought. You might unwittingly reduce survival of the deer?

I wonder if the sugar blocks will cause the deer's teeth to rot like it does for humans? Deer can't really brush their teeth, and they didn't evolve to eat a lot of sugar. I dont' know how much of a concern this should be, but just a thought. You might unwittingly reduce survival of the deer?

Amanda,

You actually bring up a solid point. The sugar content in Horse feed is actually monitored very heavily as feed with high sugar content disrupts their digestive tracts and can lead to a horse becoming colicky. From what I understand they cant belch and so the pain makes them avoid eating. I am no expert and deer/elk are different than horses but I wonder if it can have the same effect.

On the other hand if it really hurt deer one would think that all these products that have high sugar like Deer Cane: Black Magic would be off the market. I don't use sugar myself but the vanilla extract sounds like it would work pretty good.

Interesting point about sugar. No sure if your serious but the first thing that came to mind was.... "our sole purpose for scouting, baiting, and trail cameras is the kill an animal, so what's a little tooth decay" :) ;)

Interesting point about sugar. No sure if your serious but the first thing that came to mind was.... "our sole purpose for scouting, baiting, and trail cameras is the kill an animal, so what's a little tooth decay" :) ;)

Conservation comes first before filling a single tag.