jeffcros

What is a 133" pick up worth

Oh my post went bye bye. I guess my joke was not taken very well. Or maybe I did not push the post button haha.

"I'm with Brian on this one. That's an eastern w/t. Narrow eaterners grow close bases. For those of you who are members of the huntin fool look at the resemblance of rack configuration on this buck to the buck from Kansas - it's pretty cool to compare the two. Cool buck."

There may be as many as 39 other subspecies of white-tailed deer, but antler configuration usually is not what distinguishes those races.

If I were forced to say whether the rack that began this thread is a Coues whitetail or some other subspecies, I would guess that it's a Coues deer.

I'd have to see and hold it to feel good about that guess, though.

Here's an "eaterner" I shot in Michigan (which is not that far from Kansas) close to 20 years ago. Note that its bases are not close. Also note how the eyeguards on my buck do not seem to come straight up from the bases as do those on that head.

As I said, though, antler configuration isn't a good method of determining race. A Coues deer I shot in the Baboquivaris 40 or more years ago had wide, heavy antlers that looked a lot like a scaled-down version of this Michigan buck's antlers

Bill Quimby

post-46-0-00956700-1333254474_thumb.jpg

I'm with Brian on this one. That's an eastern w/t. Narrow eaterners grow close bases. For those of you who are members of the huntin fool look at the resemblance of rack configuration on this buck to the buck from Kansas - it's pretty cool to compare the two. Cool buck.

Lol you guys crack me up! It's a coues, can't judge a deer by its brown head and rack

Re-read my post boys. I didn't say it's not a coues because it looks similar to another rack or rack configuration. It's a unique cool looking rack and looks a lot like the one in a magazine. I was stating just because a deer has close bases doesn't justify it's species.

"Here's an "eaterner" I shot in Michigan (which is not that far from Kansas) close to 20 years ago. Note that its bases are not close. Also note how the eyeguards on my buck do not seem to come straight up from the bases as do those on that head. " - Bill Q.

Bill - You have a nice WIDE racked buck pictured. Of course the bases are not going to be close together - it's a WIDE racked buck. There's plenty of pics of narrow eastern w/t's with bases extremely close together that form narrow racks.

Jeff - sorry to question your buck. Please post a picture of the body prior to you cutting the rack off it so the issue is resolved and I can eat crow. Without a pic of the entire deer I stick with my opinion.

There have been people all over the place lately (past couple years) selling eastern bucks as monster coues deer. I've personally seen 2 in Bullhead City, 1 in Rye and 1 in Albuquerque. All with the same "scalp" cut with brown hides. Sorry about my skepticism.

Ok Jeff feel free to pull your add and sale it elsewhere. I would. Why in the heck should he have to post a photo of the body of the deer. If you dont want the dang horns then don't. Buy them from the guy. If someone wants them let them pay top dollar for them. I buy and sale more stuff on this and other sites then most people probably. But I never buy anything I don't want in fact I don't even post on it if I don't want it. Why can't everyone just do that. if you want it buy it if you don't shut up. We don't need people knocking the price of everything people try to sale we don't need people busting the chops of everyone tryin to sale something.

Looks like a Coues to me, for the ones that made the comment the forehead is to dark, your wrong. Mature Coues bucks above the age of 5 will begin to get that dark hair on their heads.post-412-0-30235100-1333312813_thumb.jpgpost-412-0-74186700-1333312917_thumb.jpgpost-412-0-31912800-1333313074_thumb.jpgpost-412-0-97141200-1333313156_thumb.jpgpost-412-0-00927300-1333313341_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like a Coues to me, for the ones that made the comment the forehead is to dark, your wrong. Mature Coues bucks above the age of 5 will begin to get that dark hair on their heads.post-412-0-30235100-1333312813_thumb.jpgpost-412-0-74186700-1333312917_thumb.jpgpost-412-0-31912800-1333313074_thumb.jpgpost-412-0-97141200-1333313156_thumb.jpgpost-412-0-00927300-1333313341_thumb.jpg

The photo of the bottom buck is awesome!

• Like 1

So the big question is did G&F verify it was a legal pickup, or did you just take it without asking? The hide and skull cap would make me nervous as a buyer. If g&f says it's good, I'll make you a offer.

Ok Jeff feel free to pull your add and sale it elsewhere. I would. Why in the heck should he have to post a photo of the body of the deer. If you dont want the dang horns then don't. Buy them from the guy. If someone wants them let them pay top dollar for them. I buy and sale more stuff on this and other sites then most people probably. But I never buy anything I don't want in fact I don't even post on it if I don't want it. Why can't everyone just do that. if you want it buy it if you don't shut up. We don't need people knocking the price of everything people try to sale we don't need people busting the chops of everyone tryin to sale something.

Whah! That was worse than All the above posts. Go have a drink and relax. :)

Hahahaha. I just thought I would keep things going a bit. I have nothing useful to add to the site lately so I just thought I would say whatever drifted thru my empty head. Haha

I am sure I have had some good gun deals with Jeff on this site.

In my opinion it is a Coues buck. But I have only held several hundreds of them in my hands so I may be wrong. So like I said Buy it or shut up. Thanks

Mr. Goodman. I like that I may have my wife and kids call me that for a while to stroke my bruised Ego.

$1200 would probably be a safe bet for a Coues that big...maybe more to the right buyer...

• Like 2

I've been told in the past that G&F won't let you keep one that has any hair on it at all. Not sure if that is true or not.

it's illegal to pick up dead heads with out game and fish determining cause of death unless they are just sheds which those are not.

with that said.... that pick up is awesome! that thing is McNasty!

I would have picked it up too! James

Anyone know where that rule been published? I recently read all the Arizona Revised Statutes concerning wildlife and found only one section that spoke to wildlife "parts," and it only prohibited the sale of sheep heads taken after a certain date. If it is a regulation passed by the game commission, it should be in the regulations booklet and I could find nothing there.

I must have overlooked it, because I've heard the same thing.

Bill Quimby

Bill,

I found this article on the G&F website

http://www.azgfd.net/wildlife/hunting-news/are-you-shed-antler-hunting-legally/2009/03/12/

James

Bill, all i can find in an answer on the frequently asked questions section:

I found a dead elk/deer; can I have the antlers?

No, you may not have the antlers unless an Arizona Game and Fish Department officer has determined that the animal died of natural causes. Natural causes do not include an animal that was killed by a vehicle or rifle or archery, died later and was not recovered.

Here is the link to this page:

http://www.azgfd.gov/faq/LawsRegulations.shtml

Thanks, James and TLH.

I'd sure like to read the actual law. Guess I need to search the Arizona Revised Statutes one more time.

Bill Quimby