SpeedGoat

Commission Appointment Board

What did the bill state that would have made Martin or giles intelligible.? I'm sure news channel three would love to link azsfw with something against single moms etc, I for one would love to see that . The time is now to eviscerate the sfw and leave them like a yote for the ravens.

Exposé exposé expose

Is there any action we can do now to bring attention to this? Or is the horse out of the barn?

I'd say the horse is out of the barn. Thursday's Senate Natural Resources & Transportation Committee meeting is to confirm Don Johnson to the commission apptmnt board. I don't know Don Johnson or very much about him, but the commission appointment board is currently operational and will remain so until the legislature is persuaded to change it.

This committee is chaired by Sen. John Nelson. This past Monday morning I received his legislative assistant's guarantee that son of HB2072 will not be resurrected in this legislative session. I asked her if those of us who are opposed to the concept could start going about our business again without having to keep one eye on the legislature, and she said yes, although there might be stakeholder meetings on the subject this summer. If so, she promised we would receive plenty of advance notice.

Before pursuing any action aimed at the commission appointment board, I'd suggest we all get more acquainted with the facts and history. Elkaholic gave us a great start.

When SB1200 was drafted by AZSFW a couple of years ago, I was opposed to it chiefly for the reasons Jennifer Martin articulated in Elkaholic's narrative. However, it might have some elements that should be preserved. Someone in the Napolitano administration, either the governor herself or her environmental policy advisor, said as they were leaving the office that the G&F commission appointments were among the top two most difficult, time-consuming and painful of all the board and commission appointments. But by planting our flag on the commission and saying it belongs to us, we relinquish broader citizen support for the commission system. Given a shift in power at the legislature and/or the governor's office, we could lose not only the appointment board but also a lot of other things when liberals go in to "fix" things. The commission appointment board will probably be one of the first things to go when Dems get the upper hand in the legislature, as they surely will some day, and while they're in there they can do us a lot more damage. The wise sportsmen will keep his hands off the commission system and insist others do the same.

Here's the law for the appointment board.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/17/00202.htm&Title=17&DocType=ARS

Like HB2072. it was narrowly crafted by AZSFW to put them in a powerful position. After some bad experiences with Napolitano appointments, sportsmen were all too ready to jump at this deal. Maybe we should re-visit that decision now.

I wrote a couple of members of the committee to lay out AZSFW and what SFW had done in Utah through the political process. I asked them to become aware of HB2072 and the risk of allowing a special interest group to dominate the recommendation board. At least they can be aware of our concerns.

".......The governor may remove a member of the board for inefficiency, conflict of interest,......"

The ultimate conflict of interest, but no doubt there's some BS technicality they figured out.

The governor can remove an appointment board member due to conflict of interest, but that member's replacement must be from the same organization as the member. The law fails to recognize the possibility that an organization can have a conflict of interest.

The governor can remove an appointment board member due to conflict of interest, but that member's replacement must be from the same organization as the member. The law fails to recognize the possibility that an organization can have a conflict of interest.

And these are supposedly educated people that put a pen to these BS documents?! Or Corey Rossi type appointees?! Unreal.

I've read this topic and there seems to be some bad information on Don Johnson. Don is already on the commission appointment board.

THE STATE OF ARIZONA GAME AND FISH

COMMISSION APPOINTMENT RECOMMENDATION BOARD

5000 W. Carefree Highway

Phoenix, Arizona 85086-5000

(623) 236-7334

www.azgovernor.gov

GOVERNOR

Janice K. Brewer

BOARD MEMBERS

Phillip D. Townsend, Chair

Susan E. Chilton

W. Hays Gilstrap

Donald R. Johnson

Leonard G. Stinson

October 25, 2011

NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING

Arizona Game and Fish Commission Appointment Recommendation Board

Meeting Date: Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Don is not Pete’s best friend. They don’t hunt, do dinner or vacation together.

Don is a Past President of the Sheep Society 81’, 82’.

Charter Member & Past President of the AZ Antelope Foundation 99’.

Don Johnson and Jim Marquardt (deceased) are solely responsible for creating the Commissioners tags in 1982 that fund our HPC projects.

This is the short list of the things Don has done for wildlife. He comes from the era of packing a bag of cement on your back, one at a time 3 miles up the mountain to create a drinker for sheep and other wildlife.

If you’d like to get to know him personally you can usually find him at a G&F development branch project that the HPC funds. (which he is the only living person that can take credit for, along with the millions of dollars that it has raised for wildlife. And he made sure 100% went to G&F) He’s usually flipping steaks on a Saturday night, that the conservation organization provides to whom ever is in attendance; members, non-members and G&F personal.

I don’t believe he has ever been a member of AZSFW past an definitively not present, and his category for appointment would fall under ARS 17-202 A. – 2 (as a 501 © (3).

2. One member designated by the board of directors of an organization that is qualified pursuant to section 501©(3) or 501©(4) of the internal revenue code whose articles of incorporation or bylaws stipulate that the mission or purpose of the organization is to increase, sustain or otherwise conserve wild turkey, deer, elk, pronghorn (antelope), bighorn sheep, ducks, quail or fish and that has been in existence for at least five years.

This is the same board that recommended Kurt Davis, which headed the meeting on the 3/22 and put into place many members of the commission that opposed HB2072 with the rest of us.

Just some thoughts, background and truths for you to ponder.

Allen, if I had a vote, reading your thoughts and ideals, I think you would fit nicely into this recommendation board at the next opening.

It was my understanding that Don was never appointed because of a wording issue that had to be fixed. I may not be right but there was an issue.

The next appointment would be to replace Sue Chilton. That person must come from the Cattle Growers, ranching community.

At this time Gary Stinson has not been voted on by the full Senate. He was passed out of committee but hasn't had the full vote yet.

Steve

Steve

I believe you are correct, and I stand corrected.

I don't think Don is a poor choice by any means.

Did I miss anything else that you saw?

many members of the commission that opposed HB2072 with the rest of us.

Just some thoughts, background and truths for you to ponder.

Wow, Snort.

As I remember it you excoriated the rest of us (in your first post on CWT) for our opposition to HB 2072 on this forum. On 3/9/12 in what I think was your first post you wrote "OK, people these blog posts are getting out of hand. First, you have taken it upon yourself to determine who and what groups have the wildlife and sportsmens best interest in mind. You all are self proclaimed champions of the Arizona Sportsmen and their voice. What makes you different than AZSFW? You claim to be the majority voice of sportsmen in the state. Between all 20 or so of you that are active participants in the Political Discussion Blog topic of this site, you represent .0037643% of the membership of Coueswhitetail.com. Ill let you figure out what that equates to on a statewide level."

You NEVER said you were opposed to HB 2072, only the way it was introduced.

I offered to discuss the issue with you over the phone so you would not have to get "carpel tunnel" as you warned us about and you said " I will send you a PM ". Not only did you not ever send it, you did not reply when I sent you two different PMs with my phone number offering to discuss the issue. Pete C. (who you seem to know alot about) has accused me of "hiding behind a keyboard". Well, we know nothing about your proclivities and loyalties. Now you are defending Mr. Johnson and claiming you were against HB 2072. Perhaps so, but you never revealed that while the battle was being waged. Instead you criticized those who were fighting the good fight.

The fact that you are now defending Mr. Johnson does not give me confidence.

Bruce

40-Year-AZ

This is the very reason why I chose to not respond to you in any fashion, and this will be the last time I will, whether through this blog or a PM, phone call or anything else.

Please for all of us be a little more mature. I'm not going to allow you to include me in your infighting when we have a lot bigger problems to tackle. You fail to mention what I felt was the message in that 1st post, which was that we needed to unite. And that has all come true with the National Monument issue.

"Join a few organizations, attend meetings, get dirty in the hunting off season, and make an investment in the future of the sport and lifestyle that we enjoy. Become a champion yourself! Not, only for your interests but for those of our children.

The Center, Sierra Club, Sandy Barr, HSUS, Jennifer Martin and long list of others are the ones we are up against."

But, thats not the way you work. You need to feel better about yourself and tear down the ones that are on your very side.

The next time I see you, I will make an exception to dealing with you, I'll make sure I go out of my way to give you a hug and buy you an ice cream.

I hope life treats you well.

Now we know Don is Snort. Nice try on the GC national monument deal. We need to focus on getting rid of the law for the appointment board and getting rid of AZSFW before we mess with the hippies. They have been screaming about the uranium mines for years now. We all know you and Weiers are best buddies Don and you never really came out against HB2072 for the MSC so you touting anyone is suspect. You said the same things about Jerry Weiers and he has been the politician AZSFW used in every attempt to take control of our wildlife system. Your buddies are not my kind of people.

It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and an instant to lose it... an unfortunate reality. If he was never confirmed he has a chance to step out gracefully and needs to take it.

The continued mention of Jennifer Martin confirms the continued bitterness that started in 06 when she replaced Gilstrap on the commission and started all the hostilities that we are still dealing with today. She is long gone and the other players in this wound in our hunting community need to be gone also... along with their commission appointment board.

Kent

Game and Fish needs a new champion to help with legislative issues - gowan is out - so who do we get to help us achieve much needed upcoming legislation ?