Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

New mexico spring turkey

Just wondering if anyone was going to be heading out to new mexico for spring turkey this year.i will be heading out thursday the nineteenth and staying for five days. Going to be hunting out of reserve nm. Got skunked last year but hopefully its a different story this year. Last year was really dry and all my spots were dry as a bone with no vegetation in meadows or water running anywhere. I think they got a litle more rain this year or at least better than last so hopefully it works out. Good luck to anyone who is heading out

Good luck, ours isn't till April 27. Let us know how the turkeys are acting over there, should be close to what we can expect on the rim.

yea i've got 4 clients coming in, 2 for the first weekend, and 2 for the second weekend, got 2 birds to gobble last friday, didnt go over there this weekend as i went sky diving. will be going back over this week.

Good luck tomgobbler with your clients.let me know how the are acting the first weekend of the hunt. Hopefully they are in full swing by then an they are just running in. Was it pretty dry up there? I hope not. Wish i could get up there but got work and i am down in gilbert,az so that trip for just some scouting just wont cut it for me. But got five days off to figure it out

Headed to the gila on the 18th! going to meet my dad for 5 days. Been going to the same spot for about 20 yrs now. Between me and the ol man, we have taken prolly 15 turkeys from a 5 mile radius of our honey hole. With any luck, I will post some pics when I get back. Good luck spring gobblearo hunters!

Some friends and I hunted New Mexico this past weekend for Spring Turkey. It was one of the most frustrating Turkey hunts I have ever been on. We were able to get 5-6 different Tom's to talk to us. They would start coming and stop about 100 yards out and shut up. Every bird did the exact same thing. They just would not commit to coming all the way in. We tried aggressive calling, very light calling and we tried not calling after the initial gobble. They even spooked off the roost after owl hooting. And no we were not to close. We were at liest 300 hards from where we roosted them. Nothing worked. All the area's we went to we have had a lot of success in the past. It seems that we have much better calling when the winter's were better. Hopefully you guy's did better than us.

Adam

It was a frustrating trip as well for me. I ended up shooting one after 4 days but first 2 we didn't hear a word. Last 2 days heard gobbles but they either shut up or wouldn't come in. It is all about the weather and temp I think. Thanks Dave for the great time!!!

Headed to the gila on the 18th! going to meet my dad for 5 days. Been going to the same spot for about 20 yrs now. Between me and the ol man, we have taken prolly 15 turkeys from a 5 mile radius of our honey hole. With any luck, I will post some pics when I get back. Good luck spring gobblearo hunters!

was out there this weekend south of Reserve NM, saw gobblers struttin on an old logging road. tried callin them in, they were well out of shotgun range still. finally a finally another diferent tom came up behind us trying to join in on the action, when it was met with 3 1/2 inches of #5's!