Sign in to follow this  
litldonk

drew a unit 1 archery tag

Most of Unit One's antelope are in the grasslands northwest of Springerville, especially on the Game and Fish Department property. You almost always can glass antelope from the hill above the Eagar garbage transfer station, as well as from a cinder knoll on the highway about 10-15 miles north of Springerville.

However, in your scouting, don't overlook the higher country. The "hidden" meadows around Green's Peak along the reservation boundary, as well as the wide-open country around Wahl Knoll, Pat Knoll, White Mountain Lake and Big Lake sometimes have good bucks.

So does the juniper country from Loco Knoll to the Socorro Highway along the New Mexico border, although some of it is private land and posted against entry.

Don't know what to say about bowhunting them, but I've shot a few in Arizona and Wyoming with rifles. I try to find and pattern a buck I want, and put him to bed the night before the season opens and get back there before daylight. They don't usually move far at night. If he has moved, though, I go straight to where I know he will spend the day. Scouting is super important.

Antelope hunting is a lot of fun, but it also can be frustrating. Good luck.

Bill Quimby

Scout the flats up around big lake. Like Bill said about down by Round Valley however those animals get alot of competition because they are so visible. Make sure you check the tree line areas around the border between 1 and 3b. There are some nice bucks in that broken tree country.

I drew the same hunt. I killed a pronghorn in 13A with my rifle in 2010, but never hunted them with a bow. That was not the hardest hunt in the world but I am expecting a much greater challenge for this hunt. Maybe we can share notes as the scouting season goes along. I will probably be camping with a buddy who drew the hunt as well. PM me your email address and we'll chat. I'm going up there the weekend of April 21st and you can bet I'll have my binos with me looking for goats and bulls!

Nick

Most of Unit One's antelope are in the grasslands northwest of Springerville, especially on the Game and Fish Department property. You almost always can glass antelope from the hill above the Eagar garbage transfer station, as well as from a cinder knoll on the highway about 10-15 miles north of Springerville.

However, in your scouting, don't overlook the higher country. The "hidden" meadows around Green's Peak along the reservation boundary, as well as the wide-open country around Wahl Knoll, Pat Knoll, White Mountain Lake and Big Lake sometimes have good bucks.

So does the juniper country from Loco Knoll to the Socorro Highway along the New Mexico border, although some of it is private land and posted against entry.

Don't know what to say about bowhunting them, but I've shot a few in Arizona and Wyoming with rifles. I try to find and pattern a buck I want, and put him to bed the night before the season opens and get back there before daylight. They don't usually move far at night. If he has moved, though, I go straight to where I know he will spend the day. Scouting is super important.

Antelope hunting is a lot of fun, but it also can be frustrating. Good luck.

Bill Quimby

Goood advice Bill!!

Ron

I have seen some nice bucks just down the road from Hoyer campground, hanging out in the pine trees. Also around the east end of Tunnel and Bunch reservoirs, there always seems to be a few.

Snapshot.

I've also seen bucks between the junction and Hoyer Campground, as well as around the Greer lakes. They usually have been alone and seldom hang around for more than a few days. I think it's a travel route for antelope that are heading higher or lower on the mountain. There's a similar area near Iris Springs that antelope heading to and from the meadows between Carnero Lake and Green's Peak use. I've never seen them at these "crossings" during a hunt, though, and I drive the back roads near Greer at least once a week between May and October.

Bill Quimby

Bill,

I could certainly see that area being a travel corridor. Some years back, I flyfished my way down the Little Colorado river, from where it comes out of the dam on River Reservoir. I had gone down quite aways, and decided to take a shortcut back. I climbed out of the canyon, and ran into a really nice Antelope buck in one of the small meadows back in the timber. Further on I ran into some does and fawns. It was far fom typical antelope country.

Snapshot:

At one time or another over the past 60-65 years, I've walked and ridden horses and mules along every inch of all three forks of the Little Colorado River from where they begin on Mount Baldy down to the where the agricultural check station below Becker Lake is now.

I truly love that little creek.

It is amazing how many types of wildlife live along it -- from bears and beavers to elk, mule and white-tailed deer, turkeys, antelope, and lion, blue grouse, bald eagles, and every type of waterfowl found in Arizona. Years ago, when AZGFD was trying to introduce them to Apache County, I even saw California Valley quail and ringneck pheasants downstream from South Fork.

There is no way to guess how many trout it produced for me since my first trip to Greer as a boy soon after World War II ended.

Even today, whenever I drive to the end of the road at Government Springs and see the spots where my in-laws and I camped and fished a half century ago, so many good memories come flooding back that it brings tears to my eyes.

I've asked my family to scatter my ashes along the Little Colorado, starting at Sheep's Crossing. That way, parts of me will be deposited at a few other spots I remember fondly -- the Grand Canyon, the Colorado River lakes, El Gulfo, the Colorado River Delta, and the islands of the Gulf of California.

I've seen a lot of this planet, but I can think of no better places to spend eternity.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Snapshot:

At one time or another over the past 60-65 years, I've walked and ridden horses and mules along every inch of all three forks of the Little Colorado River from where they begin on Mount Baldy down to the where the agricultural check station below Becker Lake is now.

I truly love that little creek.

It is amazing how many types of wildlife live along it -- from bears and beavers to elk, mule and white-tailed deer, turkeys, antelope, and lion, blue grouse, bald eagles, and every type of waterfowl found in Arizona. Years ago, when AZGFD was trying to introduce them to Apache County, I even saw California Valley quail and ringneck pheasants downstream from South Fork.

There is no way to guess how many trout it produced for me since my first trip to Greer as a boy soon after World War II ended.

Even today, whenever I drive to the end of the road at Government Springs and see the spots where my in-laws and I camped and fished a half century ago, so many good memories come flooding back that it brings tears to my eyes.

I've asked my family to scatter my ashes along the Little Colorado, starting at Sheep's Crossing. That way, parts of me will be deposited at a few other spots I remember fondly -- the Grand Canyon, the Colorado River lakes, El Gulfo, the Colorado River Delta, and the islands of the Gulf of California.

I've seen a lot of this planet, but I can think of no better places to spend eternity.

Bill Quimby

Bill, I would have loved to have walked and rode horses along the Little Colorado River with you. I'm sure the memories are awesume and know one could ever imagine what you got to witness over the years. You certainly have lived an exciting life and I hope you continue to build them memories for years to come. I hope to see you this summer. :)

TJ

Bill,

I understand what your saying. I like fishing the upper and lower sections of the Little Colorado. The fish are not big, but every once in awhile, I will catch a nice one or two on the lower section. I love the Greer area. It has a certain charm about it, that I can't explain. Lots of good times and memories up there. I hope to get up there again sometime this summer?

Bill's advice +1....and try to get away from the main big lake roads. After i killed on my elk hunt last year i watched 5 different hunters go in after the same buck right off the highway....didnt look like much fun!

Pick up a ZEBU cow decoy and try it out. If you don't or can't sit water these things work. I have seen 4 hunters kill their bucks in 4 years with the ZEBU...you can get behind it and walk up to the antelope. They will shy off a few times but if you stay on the same herd with the same buck they will calm down and get used to the :cow" that keeps bugging them. Learn your bow--practice as much as you can out to yards you would never want to shoot...if you can hit a paper plate at 80 yards consistently you will have no problems hitting and killing your buck at 60 yards. And always remember IT CAN BE DONE!

Good luck to you! I am envious!

Pick up a ZEBU cow decoy and try it out. If you don't or can't sit water these things work. I have seen 4 hunters kill their bucks in 4 years with the ZEBU...you can get behind it and walk up to the antelope. They will shy off a few times but if you stay on the same herd with the same buck they will calm down and get used to the :cow" that keeps bugging them. Learn your bow--practice as much as you can out to yards you would never want to shoot...if you can hit a paper plate at 80 yards consistently you will have no problems hitting and killing your buck at 60 yards. And always remember IT CAN BE DONE!

Good luck to you! I am envious!

thanks for the advice - i'm in Alpine this weekend and am headed over to unit 1 to spend the afternoon seeing what i can find

Spent the night in Rawlins, went east to Lusk, goats like rabbits, everywhere. I dont know if that helps.