Sign in to follow this  
coues krazy

coconino forest changes starting in may

Please help me out if I am confused, but the way I read the Coconino map is camping is allowed 300" from centerline of road on roads that accept motorized vehicle camping.

The Kaibab allows camping on all indicated roads, but has a 30' from edge of road for vehicle restriction in most areas.

Is this correct?

Not exactly at least in the Coconino. Hear is a quote from "Record of Decision" dated September 28, 2012,

"Motor vehicle use for the purpose of dispersed camping is allowed within 300 feet along both

sides of 581 miles of designated road and along one side of 32 miles of designated road. These

motorized dispersed camping corridors are shown in the Record of Decision Map Packet. The

area open to dispersed camping totals an estimated 43,313 acres.

Where dispersed camping corridors are not designated, Forest visitors may park up to 30 feet off

the road edge to camp or to pursue other activities. The reason this decision allows parking up to

30-feet from the side of the road in areas without dispersed camping corridors is (a) to be

consistent with adjacent national forests, (B) to allow ample room for parking for all vehicle

types, and © to limit motor vehicle impacts adjacent to the road corridor in undesignated areas."

On the Kaibab in the Williams and Tusayan Ranger Districts it looks like all dispersed camping must be within 30 feet of an "designated open road" and it does not look to me like the North Kaibab Ranger District has finalized their plan unless I misread.

Lee

From this I take it ,along any open road ,as long as your vehicle is parked no more than 30 ft from the road edge, your camp can be where you want it.

Any designated road. You need to look at the map to see the designated camping roads.(at least thats how I read it, you have me confused now!)

Please help me out if I am confused, but the way I read the Coconino map is camping is allowed 300" from centerline of road on roads that accept motorized vehicle camping.

The Kaibab allows camping on all indicated roads, but has a 30' from edge of road for vehicle restriction in most areas.

Is this correct?

Not exactly at least in the Coconino. Hear is a quote from "Record of Decision" dated September 28, 2012,

"Motor vehicle use for the purpose of dispersed camping is allowed within 300 feet along both

sides of 581 miles of designated road and along one side of 32 miles of designated road. These

motorized dispersed camping corridors are shown in the Record of Decision Map Packet. The

area open to dispersed camping totals an estimated 43,313 acres.

Where dispersed camping corridors are not designated, Forest visitors may park up to 30 feet off

the road edge to camp or to pursue other activities. The reason this decision allows parking up to

30-feet from the side of the road in areas without dispersed camping corridors is (a) to be

consistent with adjacent national forests, (B) to allow ample room for parking for all vehicle

types, and © to limit motor vehicle impacts adjacent to the road corridor in undesignated areas."

On the Kaibab in the Williams and Tusayan Ranger Districts it looks like all dispersed camping must be within 30 feet of an "designated open road" and it does not look to me like the North Kaibab Ranger District has finalized their plan unless I misread.

Lee

From this I take it ,along any open road ,as long as your vehicle is parked no more than 30 ft from the road edge, your camp can be where you want it.

Since I will be hunting on the Coconino this Sept. that's the one I have studied the most. On the Coconino at least, I believe you are correct. There are some areas (dispersed camping areas on designated roads) where camping will be allowed to within 300 ft. of the centerline of the road, but most of the camping will be probably be within 30 ft. of the few smaller roads that remain open. Unfortunately for me the one road I have historically camped next to is completely prohibited for motorized vehicle travel. Guess I have to find a new spot.

One of my worst fears in these changes is something I experienced bow hunting in Maricopa County's White Tank Park in areas where motorized vehicle travel was strictly prohibited. I would climb in the dark to the top of the peaks only to be passed by a fleet of trucks and quads just before I topped out. The county did not have enough man-power to patrol and cite all those yahoos so those of us who followed the rules just had to grin and bear it. I hope the Coconino does a better job of enforcement even if they don't change these rules.

Lee

Just so everyone knows there is corridors designated in the Kiabab for dispersed camping. They didn't put it on the map. This is one of the points you need to comment to them about. If you look at the map there is a chart on the left side with open spur roads. Those roads are the ones with designated camping areas more than the 30Ft limit. Very misleading, maybe even on purpose.

Steve

What they need to do;

For every “Closed road;

Put up a (closed) gate, drop a tree or bulldoze a berm across the entrance, and put up a “Road Closed” sign.

What they will do, leave them open, and write tickets like crazy, making lots of money.

I agree they need to close lots of the roads in the Coconino. Right now, a map of 6A looks like a congested inner city with trees. Other than Rattlesnake and Pine Grove, it’s almost impossible to get more than a mile from the nearest road.

The problem, as I see it, is they are using this as a revenue generating opportunity.

For all the complainers would you indicate if you use a quad (how many), have a huge trailer, bring the whole neighboorhood to help, bring a tv, put in for your second choice but have no idea where to hunt in that unit, need access to a store to buy more beer, got drawn but have no bow or the right gun, etc. ad nauseam. And the big one do not believe in the use of contraception. ROTFLOL and :lol:

im a little upset by the closures and yes I guess I should've voiced it earlier during the public comment time period. I could kick myself for not. I 100%have agree that some roads needed to be closed. I just looked at 6a map where I typically hunt and camp. Im estimating 90% of the roads are now closed. im shocked. my 1st reaction is screw this. I know ill be using my horses a lot more now and ill probably be one of a few following the new rules. if they don't physically close the roads, people will continue to use the.

safety is also a concern. all the quads and vehicles were dispersed over say 5000 miles and now will be condensed to say 500I miles. there will be an increase in vehicle accidents I am sure.

ugh I am just plain pi**ed right now! my turkey hunts in 2 weeks. now my plans are all screwed up and I face the issue do I follow the new map pr wait to be fined. I can't imagine how many officers would be needed to patrol 5000 miles of old roads.

I pay for these forests and now my access to it is restricted by 90%. just seems very excessive to me