Sign in to follow this  
coues krazy

coconino forest changes starting in may

Those are valid concerns guys, but you still have not given any suggestions. Most, if not all of us are in agreement that things needed changes, but we're not happy with what they came up with. If we want to improve things, we need to give suggestions, not just complaints.

As far as suggestions, for one they should have enforced the off road laws that were in place. They will now hire a bunch more "enforcers" and will ticket campers for being more than 30' off the road. They should have hired these guys and put them on atvs and busted the guys who were breaking the law. They werent that hard to find.

I agree with others that this is the first in many steps to get us out of the woods or charge fees anywhere we go.

I agree there are several small roads all over the coconino and all the nat. forests that should be closed,it will help the herds eventually and cut down on people racing through the forest.The roads will be there for several years to come whether they are shut down or not, why on the east side of FH 3 can we not at least use these roads to recover elk? Am I not understanding the new regulations correctly,these designated closed roads east of FH 3 cannot be used for anything including elk retrieval. Camping should be allowed along the open roads, there are camp spots already in existence that are farther away from the designated spots, let us use those also. They should bust people who destroy and leave trash or misuse these spots. How are they going to watch for violators of the roads and camping,hire people.

So I sent some feedback to forest service regarding posting signage and educating the public, and received a reply that is like to share with you guys:

" I wanted to take the time to personally thank you for providing the below comments to our Travel Management online comment form. We fully agree with you that we need to have better signage to help educate members of the public about the new Travel Management regulations on Kaibab National Forest.

We are working on those signage issues. We plan to have “portal” kiosks at major entry points to the forest that provide overview information about the Travel Management regulations. This is similar to what you mention in your online comments. We also plan to have other signs on roads to help visitors understand better what routes are open and what routes are closed. The details of these various signs are being worked out right now. I will share your comments with the leadership of Kaibab National Forest.

Again, thanks for taking the time to provide these comments. I will ensure that they are heard by Kaibab National Forest leadership. "

So I sent some feedback to forest service regarding posting signage and educating the public, and received a reply that is like to share with you guys:

" I wanted to take the time to personally thank you for providing the below comments to our Travel Management online comment form. We fully agree with you that we need to have better signage to help educate members of the public about the new Travel Management regulations on Kaibab National Forest.

We are working on those signage issues. We plan to have “portal” kiosks at major entry points to the forest that provide overview information about the Travel Management regulations. This is similar to what you mention in your online comments. We also plan to have other signs on roads to help visitors understand better what routes are open and what routes are closed. The details of these various signs are being worked out right now. I will share your comments with the leadership of Kaibab National Forest.

Again, thanks for taking the time to provide these comments. I will ensure that they are heard by Kaibab National Forest leadership. "

Glad to hear that.

Dobbs07, thanks for making comments to the forest service. Where at on the forest service website can you make comments? I couldn't find it.

The Arizona Elk Society has been involved in the Travel Management meetings for over 4 years. We have posted a couple of the recent letters that we have sent the Kiabab and Coconino Forests with our comments and appeals. Please feel free to read and use for formulating your comments if you need. For the South Kiabab and Coconino the official comment periods have ended but as commenters the AES can still appeal during the appeal time frames.

One of the issues you should be constantly commenting on is the accuracy and lack of information in the maps that they are providing.

Steve

Link To AES comment letters: AES Issues Page

I hope they take those suggestions and change alot of things. Very good letter from aes. A ton of good points, especially about safety of children having to camp so close to the roads. Thank you guys for your efforts.

Please help me out if I am confused, but the way I read the Coconino map is camping is allowed 300" from centerline of road on roads that accept motorized vehicle camping.

The Kaibab allows camping on all indicated roads, but has a 30' from edge of road for vehicle restriction in most areas.

Is this correct?

Please help me out if I am confused, but the way I read the Coconino map is camping is allowed 300" from centerline of road on roads that accept motorized vehicle camping.

The Kaibab allows camping on all indicated roads, but has a 30' from edge of road for vehicle restriction in most areas.

Is this correct?

Not exactly at least in the Coconino. Hear is a quote from "Record of Decision" dated September 28, 2012,

"Motor vehicle use for the purpose of dispersed camping is allowed within 300 feet along both

sides of 581 miles of designated road and along one side of 32 miles of designated road. These

motorized dispersed camping corridors are shown in the Record of Decision Map Packet. The

area open to dispersed camping totals an estimated 43,313 acres.

Where dispersed camping corridors are not designated, Forest visitors may park up to 30 feet off

the road edge to camp or to pursue other activities. The reason this decision allows parking up to

30-feet from the side of the road in areas without dispersed camping corridors is (a) to be

consistent with adjacent national forests, (B) to allow ample room for parking for all vehicle

types, and © to limit motor vehicle impacts adjacent to the road corridor in undesignated areas."

On the Kaibab in the Williams and Tusayan Ranger Districts it looks like all dispersed camping must be within 30 feet of an "designated open road" and it does not look to me like the North Kaibab Ranger District has finalized their plan unless I misread.

Lee

Thanks for the clarification, Lee.

I bet there is going to be a whole lot of VERY upset campers up north come Memorial Day weekend. I wouldn't have thought twice about this stuff if not for this site.

Thanks for the clarification, Lee.

I bet there is going to be a whole lot of VERY upset campers up north come Memorial Day weekend. I wouldn't have thought twice about this stuff if not for this site.

If you're not one of the members of CWT, Azhunter or ruttinhard, you wouldn't have a clue as to what these regulations are all about. I'd bet less than 10% of the people camping this summer are aware of this ruling. Not going to be pretty!

Is this correct?

Not exactly at least in the Coconino. Hear is a quote from "Record of Decision" dated September 28, 2012,

"Motor vehicle use for the purpose of dispersed camping is allowed within 300 feet along both

sides of 581 miles of designated road and along one side of 32 miles of designated road. These

motorized dispersed camping corridors are shown in the Record of Decision Map Packet. The

area open to dispersed camping totals an estimated 43,313 acres.

Where dispersed camping corridors are not designated, Forest visitors may park up to 30 feet off

the road edge to camp or to pursue other activities. The reason this decision allows parking up to

30-feet from the side of the road in areas without dispersed camping corridors is (a) to be

consistent with adjacent national forests, (B) to allow ample room for parking for all vehicle

types, and © to limit motor vehicle impacts adjacent to the road corridor in undesignated areas."

On the Kaibab in the Williams and Tusayan Ranger Districts it looks like all dispersed camping must be within 30 feet of an "designated open road" and it does not look to me like the North Kaibab Ranger District has finalized their plan unless I misread.

Lee

From this I take it ,along any open road ,as long as your vehicle is parked no more than 30 ft from the road edge, your camp can be where you want it.