Sign in to follow this  
soccerstar2013

HHA Optimizer SIght

Just wanted a little input on these one pin slider sights. I really like the idea of only having 1 pin in your sight picture and I feel it would make things more clear and therefore more Accurate! Although in a hunting situation If it is a pain to slide the thing I don't want to have it set on 20 yards have a deer come in at 50 yards and have to hassle with it to get it on the 50 yard mark and have the deer walk away! Any input is greatly appreciated!

-Jake

Man that's the dilemma with hunting with a single pin site. I think if you are in a blind or hunt out of a stand it is a good option. If you spot and stalk you know its inherent flaws. If you shoot a really fast arrow you could try keeping your slider pin at like 35 and learning the holder under-over from 20-50yds if you have to take a rushed shot and don't have time to change the pin, but personally I don't see that as an ideal compromise.

I picked one up for the off season a couple days ago and to be honest I love the thing! It definitely improved my accuracy. I was shooting about a 6 inch group at 50-60 yards now it is like 3 inches! I love it but I still have my other site so I will see if i want to switch back to it for hunting!

I do not know much about the HHA sight, but I have read many archers are happy with them.

I use a Sure-Loc Lethal Weapon Max movable pin sight... it has 3 pins and the lower pin is a floater from 40 - 100 yds. Within a second it can be adjusted. I shoot much better with the slider sight, however with a multi pin sight there was a security of the pins above and below that helped me settle on animals....it much different to have a single pin with a reference (I converted my sight from a single pin to a 3 pin)...

Sure-Loc is improving the sight this June making the pins better and incorporating the IQ retina technology but they are going to be pricey.

Spot Hogg also has a movable sight pin in three different models.

I would recommend you look at the classifieds on archery talk... they are many movable sights even HHA for a great price.... that's my two cents...

I really like my HHA optimizer. My favorite thing is how it is built, it is hard to find such solidly constructed things these days, although it is heavy for a bow sight.

I haven't hunted much with it. But I was able to hit both Javelina that I've had in it's sights. With modern bows you can usually set it at something like 30 yards and not have to move it if you practice holding over or under at different yardages.

I shot a 5 pin Spot Hogg and when I got my new bow went with the Sure-Loc QC Max. I was hesitant with the entire adjustable sight but quickly learn how sweet it was. With the Archers Advantage program, you can quickly make a yardage sight tape, which makes sighting in cake. Adjusting the sight is simple and takes seconds. I set mine up with three pins and in its base position, those three are 20, 30, 40. My bottom pin is off colored so I always know which one to use at yardages past 40. I would definitely recommend an adjustable sight. I've never used HHA, but I'm sure the concept is the same...go for it. My only word of advice is to always re-set your sight to its base position after you are done shooting. That can be a costly mistake in the price of arrows or in the success of a hunt.

I don't understand the point of moveable sights if they have multiple pins? I can understand the advantage of having a single pin to keep a focused uncluttered view, however after watching my brother set his HHA for 40 yards and having an antelope charge in to 15 yards to the decoy about ten years ago I will never use one! He tried to aim low and shot under him, then the goat ran out to 25 yards and stopped again, so he held a little higher not wanting to stop and adjust his sight for fear the goat would run away, and then shot over him, finally the goat stopped at 50 yards and he held a little high again and missed him again! It wasn't all that funny at the time, but I'll NEVER touch a single pin sight after seeing that!

I just had montana black gold build me a custom sight with 5 .010 pins that are each micro adjust i also had micro adjustments for elevation and windage. I also had a 4" dovetail and a rear facing sight tape which allows hardly any movement to adjust. My last pin is set at 60yds and that pin becomes the pin i use for any further yardages. Ive been a fan of spott hogg for 10 years until i got this sight.

post-2694-0-65955900-1334890316_thumb.jpg

post-2694-0-25369200-1334890365_thumb.jpg