tkknc

Backpack recomendations

I need some backpack recomendations for hauling out meat and gear. I had a camp trails freighter and kept ripping the hipbelt out (when it was heavily loaded on my way out). I sold it and am looking to get something much stronger.

Thanks in advance

Howdy tkknc,

My pack of choice is the Eberlestock Just One. It's a great pack with lots of space for your gear, spotting scope, tripod, hydration system etc. Then after you wack your buck the center compartment of the pack opens up and becomes a great place to haul out your meat.

Oh and I forgot it has a rifle scabbard so you can go hands free.

Dude dont even pay no never mind to the last two post. Them guys are both crazy and dont know a great pack if it hit them in the head....BADLANDS 2200 all the way.... :lol:

I have been extremely happy with my Badlands 2800. I can haul a ton in there all day with no problems. I even ripped it while it was on the back of my quad rubbing against some metal. I sent it back and they fixed it with no questions asked. David

Dude dont even pay no never mind to the last two post. Them guys are both crazy and dont know a great pack if it hit them in the head....BADLANDS 2200 all the way.... :lol:

I second this. We have 5 in the family and 4 owned by friends, everyone loves it. I DON'T agree with the CRAZY part and the HIT IN THE HEAD part, but the 2200 is a good one. I have heard nothing but good things about the Eberlestock. We have the 2800 also but I tend to carry WAAYYY too much stuff with me when I take it. It is great for over-nighters though! My $.02

I've bought and sold at least 4 differnt packs in the last 3 years. I have the Eberlestock Just One right now and I am keeping it!

If you pack around a tripod, the rifle scabbarb is PERFECT. Plus, it expands to 7,000 cubic inches.

If you don't need 7,000 cubic inches, they also have a smaller version called the Gunslinger. I had one of those too, but sold it and bought the Just One.

On the Badland packs can you haul out an Elk Quarter with it? It doesn't look large enough to me?

For Deer, Elk & Javelina I have been backpacking in and hunting from remote locations. After I tag out I would like to haul as much as I can back, in as few trips as possible. I alwaaaays try and make the return trip down hill.

Thanks

I've bought and sold at least 4 differnt packs in the last 3 years. I have the Eberlestock Just One right now and I am keeping it!

If you pack around a tripod, the rifle scabbarb is PERFECT. Plus, it expands to 7,000 cubic inches.

If you don't need 7,000 cubic inches, they also have a smaller version called the Gunslinger. I had one of those too, but sold it and bought the Just One.

tk,

If you are looking for a heavy duty indestructable external frame type pack you could take a look at the Bull Packs, I think they carry them at The Outdoorsman's in PHX on Cave Creek Rd. I have one and really like it.

You could strap a moose to it if you wanted providing you can get it on your back, it also has a really nice bag on it with long side pockets that will hold a big Swaro spotting scope. It's a little heavy but one of the best made packs I've seen or used. Good luck

tk,

I hauled a coues buck out on my Badlands 2800 in one trip and he was about the size of an elk quarter! (front shoulder at least) ;) I've been nothing but pleased with it. My brother prefers his 2200 over the 2800 though. I think they are both great packs, it just comes down to personal preference.

Kevin

For what its worth, I currently have a Kifaru, a badlands 2200 and the Eberstock gunslinger. For me personally with tripod/binos etc and extra room without feeling like I am packing the kitchen table on my back, the Ebberstock has/is the most versatile and best pack of the three. For elk or packing in, the Kifaru is probably the most sturdy "pack Frame" type of the three.............Allen.........

I hauled out a hind quarter tenderloin and back strap and most of the front quarter boned out in my super day pack made by badlands. My buddy haulled the other side out in his day pack. And my brother the head and cape and the rest of the meat in his badlands 2200. the 2200 seems then to me but we sure stuffed it full. I my self likr the superday for what i do. But my brother swears by his 2200.

BADLANDS IS # 1 in my book. and if you get the biggest one, it is three packs all together in one i think.

I have a Badlands superday and the Eberlestock J104 'just one'. Really like the eberlestock. Can shrink it down to an oversized daypack, or load it full for an overnighter.

Both brands are well built packs and there's things I like about both. If possible, check them both out before you buy and see what fits you best. That's probably the most important aspect of a pack you're planning on carrying serious weight in, imho.

Ron

I would second wetmule's reply. I've had the bullpack for 6-7 years. It's the best & most comfortable pack out there. There are the long pocket's on the side for a tripod and spotter.Then there two pockets on the outside in the middle. I put my 15x56's in the top and the rest of my stuff like knife's, gps,misc in the bottom. Then you still have the the middle of the bag to a folding chair,jacket ,lunch. I've boned out a whole coues deer and packed it out with mine. I used mine no less than 65 days this year. Hands down the best.

desertsheep

Ok sportsfans, I own Badlands, Kifaru and Eberlestocks backs. They are all great packs that I use for different type hunts. I have also had great customer service with all the above mentioned companies. But for the type pack tkknc is looking for I strongly believe the Eberlestock Just one J104 is the best all around pack for the job. Just my .02 cents. Trust me tkknc ;)