Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Big Lake is OPEN

1334846626[/url]' post='306158']

Local radios have been announcing all roads are open to Big Lake, Sunrise way, Round Valley way and Alpine way...........

I was there two weeks ago fishing was steady for the 10" type trout, but not to many of the hogs were caught.

We're headed to Big Lake on Sunday! Can't wait! Looks like we timed this pretty good.

Hey Pine Donkey, could you let me know what the fish were biting on? Did you fish from the shore or a boat? I think we are going to rent a boat. Any other pointers would be great!

Nick

I'm so excited to get up there this summer, just wish is wasn't so far and i could make more trips on weekends. Didn't get to go last year, first time in like 20 years. I'm more curious to see what it looks like since the Wallow fire.

Which brings up a question....does anyone know good areas to camp that are not in one of the main campgrounds at Big Lake? We might have a huge group going and might need to find a campsite that can hold all of us.

1334852331[/url]' post='306170']
1334846626[/url]' post='306158']

Local radios have been announcing all roads are open to Big Lake, Sunrise way, Round Valley way and Alpine way...........

I was there two weeks ago fishing was steady for the 10" type trout, but not to many of the hogs were caught.

We tried everything. Power bait, worms injected with air, salmon eggs, pistol Pete's, etc. Rainbow power bait worked as good as anything else. We usually have good luck with the garlic powerbait this time of year, but on this trip they were not interested in garlic.

We fished from the shore at South Cove.

Good luck and post your results. My assistant Principal just left for the mountains. If he has any luck I will post it.

This time tomorrow I will be fishing at Big Lake :rolleyes:

They had a this photo on their FB page of an 11 lb'er caught a few days ago

WOW. That is a fantastic fish. That one has been in the lake for awhile!

Check out the cover of this months edition of Arizona Highways. it shows a picture of big lake in august of last year which was after the fire. Still looks beautiful as always. that picture makes me want to go sooooo bad!!

We tried everything. Power bait, worms injected with air, salmon eggs, pistol Pete's, etc. Rainbow power bait worked as good as anything else. We usually have good luck with the garlic powerbait this time of year, but on this trip they were not interested in garlic.

Good luck and post your results. My assistant Principal just left for the mountains. If he has any luck I will post it.

I received this photo last night. He dicided to try an old honey hole rather than Big Lake, but it seems he did ok. The board they are on is 18 inches wide. He had a great time, but his three year old boy was in Heaven.

post-2989-0-99485800-1335050954_thumb.jpg

He is at the same lake again today. Ill let you know how he did.

I received this photo last night. He dicided to try an old honey hole rather than Big Lake, but it seems he did ok. The board they are on is 18 inches wide. He had a great time, but his three year old boy was in Heaven.

post-2989-0-99485800-1335050954_thumb.jpg

He is at the same lake again today. Ill let you know how he did.

He just sent some pictures of today's return trip to the secluded little lake.

post-2989-0-69066300-1335054439_thumb.jpg

I think his boy may be hooked.

post-2989-0-26386700-1335054498_thumb.jpg